Silver Dollars In A 55 Gallon?

Sierraraptor

New Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been browsing the forums and this looks like a wonderful place!

I just purchased a 55 gallon aquarium, and now I have to decide what to put in it. I've always wanted to get Silver Dollars, but I've never had anything larger than a 29 gallon before. Is a 55 big enough for 5-6 silver dollars? I keep reading conflicting info online, so I'd love to hear from people with personal experience. Would I be able to put any other fish in with them, or would just the SDs in the 55 be too many fish?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Sierra
 
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been browsing the forums and this looks like a wonderful place!

I just purchased a 55 gallon aquarium, and now I have to decide what to put in it. I've always wanted to get Silver Dollars, but I've never had anything larger than a 29 gallon before. Is a 55 big enough for 5-6 silver dollars? I keep reading conflicting info online, so I'd love to hear from people with personal experience. Would I be able to put any other fish in with them, or would just the SDs in the 55 be too many fish?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Sierra


what are the dimensions of the tank?
 
i would say its not big enough. sorry maybe some discus though if ur up for a challange:)
 
I have 3 SD's in a 55g 4ft tank - only half size right now but well aware they will need to be moved up to a larger tank before fully grown - yet another excuse for the 6 footer :)

I was told they would be quite skittish, but I havent found them to be, you could do it, providing you are aware they will eventually need a larger tank or are prepared to re-home them before full grown.
 
I know but finding them in these parts was a nightmare - so when I did find them, it was all they had! And they were in a shocking state - thankfully now looking very healthy with all their fins back.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top