Sick fish and I have no clue what is wrong

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Bobthecatfish

Reaction score
My angle fish has what looks like some scales falling off or something like that, it’s basically white specs on him on the outside of its skin. IMG_1514.jpegIMG_1515.jpeg
IMG_1515.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to the forum!

Could be wrong, I'm not professional, but looks like ich.
DON'T FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS YET, because mistreating a fish can make it worse. Wait for some more confirmations and then try this.

First- (answer this ASAP)
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have they had the spots for?
How many have it?
Do they/it have any other symptoms?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
What else is in the tank?
Water parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc. )
How big is the tank? (probably not relevant but give it anyways)

Something I found on an old post by @Colin_T , (that I edited slightly to make it fit this context)

------------------

To treat white spot (ich), raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

Before raising the temperature, do the following-

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------

If the heater struggles to hold the temperature at 30C (86F), tape some 1-2 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam to the back and sides of the tank (on the outside). If you haven't got foam, put a towel around the back and sides of the tank but make sure it doesn't touch the water or come in contact with the light.

Back to me, I also am aware of a product called 'Ich X' or something that others may have experience with, however cannot vouch for it as I've never (yet) had a problem with ich.

If it's the only thing that has it, would recommend quarantining it if possible.

Good luck!
PPJ

The photos are very dark, can you take some more please with brighter light? We want to help you but it's hard to see what you're dealing with....from what I can gather it's not ich

Welcome to the forum!

Could be wrong, I'm not professional, but looks like ich.
DON'T FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS YET, because mistreating a fish can make it worse. Wait for some more confirmations and then try this.

First- (answer this ASAP)
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have they had the spots for?
How many have it?
Do they/it have any other symptoms?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
What else is in the tank?
Water parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc. )
How big is the tank? (probably not relevant but give it anyways)

Something I found on an old post by @Colin_T , (that I edited slightly to make it fit this context)

------------------

To treat white spot (ich), raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

Before raising the temperature, do the following-

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------

If the heater struggles to hold the temperature at 30C (86F), tape some 1-2 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam to the back and sides of the tank (on the outside). If you haven't got foam, put a towel around the back and sides of the tank but make sure it doesn't touch the water or come in contact with the light.

Back to me, I also am aware of a product called 'Ich X' or something that others may have experience with, however cannot vouch for it as I've never (yet) had a problem with ich.

If it's the only thing that has it, would recommend quarantining it if possible.

Good luck!
PPJ
The tank has been set up for over a year now, this is the only one that has it, I didn’t think of ick because it looked like it was peeling off similar to when you have a sun burn

Hello. Water is the most important part of the fish keeping hobby. If you have a sick fish, it's most likely a water chemistry problem. The hobby is really fairly easy. If your tank is less than 30 gallons, you change half the water twice a week. Tanks 30 gallons or larger need half the water removed and replaced once a week. If you're not in the habit of doing this, then your fishes' immune system isn't as strong as it could be. And, bad bacteria that would normally have no affect on a healthy fish, could infect a less than healthy one.

Doesn't look like ick to me. Looks more like he has been roughed up a bit. Is it possible that he is being picked on, or maybe had some sort of episode, i.e. swam into a narrow opening and had issues getting out.

Any update/clearer photos of the angel fish, OP? What other fish are in the tank with him?

Cichlids can be pretty aggressive, if he's with other angels for instance, he might be getting roughed up. But really, we need more information in order to be able to help.

from what I can gather it's not ich
I didn’t think of ick because it looked like it was peeling off similar to when you have a sun burn
Doesn't look like ick to me.

Sorry. I did say I could be wrong... and not to treat yet... I'm still learning. I do still think those questions I said you should probably answer earlier will be helpful though, and they're the same ones others have asked.

Only trying to help :)

I think @PygmyPepperJulli was close. My suspicion is Epistylis -Ich-like but raised on the body, and irregularly shaped.

It's hard to clear without antibiotics, and if you crank the heat as per ich, it will thank you and eat your fish quickly. It can be fought by dropping temps gradually to around 20. It infests the gills, so oxygen matters.

Some sources say it's a secondary symptom of a bacterial infection, and that it takes off after consistent overfeeding. It's a common creature in aquariums that becomes a disease when things are out of balance - not enough water changes, underlying health problems or overfeeding.
Ich spots are "neat" and uniform. Epistylis spots are larger and unevenly shaped.

Clearer photos under a good light would help us diagnose this quicker matey

Any update/clearer photos of the angel fish, OP? What other fish are in the tank with him?

Cichlids can be pretty aggressive, if he's with other angels for instance, he might be getting roughed up. But really, we need more information in order to be able to help.

He is with other angles but he’s been with them for month and no problem, they also have plenty of spaces to hide, I do have spotted Raphael catfish with them but they usually keep to theirselves in their coconut shells

I think @PygmyPepperJulli was close. My suspicion is Epistylis -Ich-like but raised on the body, and irregularly shaped.

It's hard to clear without antibiotics, and if you crank the heat as per ich, it will thank you and eat your fish quickly. It can be fought by dropping temps gradually to around 20. It infests the gills, so oxygen matters.

Some sources say it's a secondary symptom of a bacterial infection, and that it takes off after consistent overfeeding. It's a common creature in aquariums that becomes a disease when things are out of balance - not enough water changes, underlying health problems or overfeeding.
Ich spots are "neat" and uniform. Epistylis spots are larger and unevenly shaped.
yesterday it appeared he had a small flesh wound, I am debating what I should do, as my 29 gallon isn’t cycled

Most reactions

Back