Should I Quarentine Plants?

missPenguin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel a bit silly asking but:

Jus not long set up my first tank and it appears to be cycling as my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate have all been 0 for the last 10 days which puzzles me as I've only had the fish 2 weeks and I din't do the fishless cycle. However I have had the tank set up for 4 weeks now and have been using nutrafin cycle from ther beginning and I'm starting to think that that has actually helped [although people have been telling me commercial cycle products don'twork]. It's a 126 litre tank btw

Anyway, I'm thinkng if the tank is starting to cycle, I can start to think about putting in new fish but I can't do that qute yet as my quarentine tank isn't ready yet [only set it up last Sunday] so I was thinking about getting some plants, but do you have to quaretine them first?

If the answer is yes, here are mmy questions?

1) How long for?
2) Does it matter if I 'quarentine' them in an uncycled tank?

You don't have to quarantine plants but if you do it does help to get rid of any snails and their eggs. I did this and it worked well. Unfortunately some old gravel got scooped up when we were moving the fish over so I still have snails! :/

I wish I HAD quarentined my plants! I picked off the snails (not that they bother me really) but didn't know about Hydra. I do now. Lots and lots of little freshwater 'sea anenomes'. Lots of them. On everything. Don't seem to bother the fish but will, I've read, eat fry. And grow on everything. So maybe a couple of days observation to see if any of your plants sprout 'em is a good idea. They contract into tiny jelly blobs so you need to put the plants in water to see if any 'unfurl'. I think they're pretty uncommon though, so if you don't may be you'll be ok.
best wishes
minkymaid

Most reactions

Back