Should i euthenise my oranda?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My red and black oranda and my chocolate oranda are both isolated i will lower the water level of this tank.
How do i get a prescribed antibiotic for fish.
My water is fine. Everything is as it should be. 0 Ammonia and Nitrite (don't know however about nitrate) and Ph levels are ok.
Thanks for all your help in identifying the problem with this fish.
I will be gutted if I have to euthenise him as he is such a comedian when he is well. What about the other fish? They are looking ok at the moment.
Should I take out a couple of the ornaments. They are imitation coral could he have hurt himself on this?

You will need to contact a loacl vet or the lfs about the antibiotic. If you think they may have hurt themselves on the coral then it is probably best to remove it.

Well the chocolate oranda has died. do not really know why, it has always been a quiet fish
I have taken your advice ryan and lowered the water level to about half a tank in the hospital tank.
I assume I will need to get the antibiotics from a vet. do I just tell them that I suspect my fish has swim bladder or do i need to take it with me? this may sound like a stupid quesion but I have never had this problem before. All the other fish look ok and are swimming around the community tank as normal.
Thanks very much for helping me with this topic all your help and advice has been much appreciated.

Before you ask for the antibiotics (do not take the fish). Try this

1. Feed your fish a couple of peas. That's right, peas. Just get some frozen peas, thaw them, and feed them to your fish. A professor of fish medicine at N.C. State College of Veterinary Medicine has done this in several cases with very good results. He thinks that the peas somehow encourage destruction of the impaction. No hard scientific evidence, but it's worth a try.

2. Fast your fish for a couple of days. Withhold all food for three or four days, and sometimes this alone will break up the impaction and return things to normal. Most fish can go a week to ten days without food and be just fine.

3. Periodic aspiration of the swim bladder works very well. Basically, you stick a needle in the swim bladder and suck out some of the air. Not something to be entered into lightly, but does work well. This is not a cure, but a successful treatment.

Some of these treatments seem a bit extreme but it is worth giving a couple of them a try before going to the vets. There is also a Partial pneumocystectomy. This is another word for surgical removal of part of the swim bladder. But this is for the Vetnary side of things so is probably out of the question unless you know a vet that has performed such a procedure. (Very rare, heard about it through a Goldfish breeder).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back