Should I add an extra external filter ?

Vivienne

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Bought a second hand fluval 303 on ebay before I made the decision to opt for the Juwul Rekord 120 that comes complete with its own internal filter.

Should I add the external filter to this tank or should I keep it in reserve for if I get a second tank ? If I ran it on this tank but then moved it, leaving only the Juwul internal filter, I guess I could end up causing ammonia/nitrite spikes since I'll have taken half the bacteria away.

I'd really appreciate some advice about this because I'm about to silicon a fairly hefty background in place and if I am going to add this filter in, now's the time to hide the tubes. Thanks.

You have it, you may as well use it. Unless the water flow is causing a problem of course. Plus, when or if you get a second tank, you'll have seeded filter ready to go, and an instantly cycled tank.

Vivienne said:
If I ran it on this tank but then moved it, leaving only the Juwul internal filter, I guess I could end up causing ammonia/nitrite spikes since I'll have taken half the bacteria away.
Well funny enough I've asked the exact same question a number of times before and no one could actually give me a concrete answer. The best I got was "I don't think so".
Therefore, I have a spare filter running in my one tank (but smaller than the main filter of the tank) so it's easy to use if I need it for a hospital tank or need to set up another tank. In addition you add extra filtration, which should be great :)

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I'd only use the 303.

I bought a 2nd hand Juwel 90 and had the ugly black box inside the tank - I then was recommended a Fluval 204 and the space saved by removing the box was excellent!!!

If you already have fish in there at the moment I'd run them both for a couple of weeks, enough to get the bacteria in your 303 (I would suggest getting new media rather than using 2nd hand stuff - that's down to you though). You honestly won't regret using the 303 on it's own.

Freddyk made a good point, but I think the jewel corner units are so ugly I'd happily live with only 1 filter (even though I'm running U.G. with powerhead as well).

303, 303, 303!!!! :kana: :kana: :kana:

Thanks guys- Because the Fluval is bigger than the internal Juwul I'm concered that if I take it off at a later date, I'll competely upset the balance of the tank and de-stabilise the fish who've become used to a much higher flow rate.

Is this an issue or am a worrying over nothing ?

In that case I wouldn't do it. Not if the "extra" filter has a larger capacity than your Juwel.

The prices of the fluvals (especially on ebay) would mean that you could always keep that filter in that tank I guess as they're relatively cheap (£50).

I'm looking to upgrade tanks and I'd be getting a 304 or 404 and I'd be running that in my current tank along with my 204.

I don't think you'd cause any damage to the fish by removing the 303 as long as you put something good in it's place, I personally don't think those jewel filters are great but they sell them with the tanks so they must be 1/2 desent I guess! :dunno:

I've had all sorts of filters in the past and I'd always suggest a canister filter as they're so much easier to maintain, add medication to, clean etc...... :nod: :nod:

bloozoo2 said:
Vivienne said:
If I ran it on this tank but then moved it, leaving only the Juwul internal filter, I guess I could end up causing ammonia/nitrite spikes since I'll have taken half the bacteria away.
Well funny enough I've asked the exact same question a number of times before and no one could actually give me a concrete answer. The best I got was "I don't think so".
You've got to remember that bacteria live not just inside filters but also in large quantities in the gravel. So removing one filter would not effect the biosystem so drastically. Yes, it might do a mini cycle if the bio load is high.

Most reactions

Back