Shopping List - Aquarium Stuff

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I realized that this item is so expensive.
Usually I buy the Oyama wall paper(with adhesive) that costs me only $1-2 per feet at my LFS.
Buy the right size so that you don't have to cut them.

It looks something like this.
Dark blue and black are the best colours.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018IUI40G/?tag=

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you decided on the type of Moss?

Recently, I saw the Flame moss in the shape of a tree...so beautiful.
I might get it soon but need to watch for any snails or unwanted worms.
I put them in a QT for 1-2 weeks to observe before putting them into my tank.
I also used Coppersafe to soak them for a short while to kill off any snails or parasites.
Then I will rinse it many times before putting it in the QT.
I just need to know if Coppersafe would be safe for my shrimps?

I would be very careful about using anything which contains copper with shrimps or snails. I know it has been suggested to use this outside the tank to 'clean' plants but you would need to remove it completely before putting it in the tank and the odd wash or two won't do this.

Edit to add - I always leave plants in water for at least a week before putting them in the tank but I do not add any chemicals. This allows me to find any 'bugs' on the plants but I'm not concerned about snails or their eggs as I already have them in my tanks.

I just need to know if Coppersafe would be safe for my shrimps?

Yes, Essjay is right.
Coppersafe is toxic for shrimps and even to plants. Lol
But I am more worried of the parasites, snails than the Coppersafe.
But I have to be very careful to rinse them properly and QT them for another 1-2 weeks. Change the water a few times cos the plants can absorb it.
Anyway, better dont follow my method.. LOL

For EU members, all plants imported from outside the EU must be treated with a snail killing chemical. This is to stop apple snails being accidentally imported into the EU. Plants grown within the EU do not have to be treated.

There are reports of people buying plants imported into the EU, putting them straight into their tanks and the shrimps in the tank dying. If you have shrimps or snails, please be aware of this - check that the plants are shrimp safe, or are grown in vitro. if in doubt, quarantine the plants and change the water every day. Perhaps even run a filter containing carbon or PolyFilter (the medium that removed metals and organic chemicals not plain polyfilter)

Yes, in fact the plants may absorb the chemical that they used to kill the snails and release back the chemical into the water later.
Not safe for shrimps.

Yes, in fact the plants may absorb the chemical that they used to kill the snails and release back the chemical into the water later.
Not safe for shrimps.
I've honestly never thought about using chemicals, but I would quarantine the plants for some time. How?

Where do you intend getting plants from? There are sellers on Ebay, and sites like proshrimp which only sell shrimp safe plants. If the seller does not say shrimp safe, they could be imports from outside the UK and treated with a snail killer.

If they are said to be shrimp safe, the worst you'll get are 'pest' snails which are actually a useful addition to a tank as long as you don't over feed the fish.
If they are in vitro plants, they can be put straight into the tank as there will be no bugs or snails or anything on them. The seller will have a photo of plants in a little tub.
For plants which are shrimp safe but not in vitro - the photo will be of a whole plant with roots, or shown with the roots in a little basket - leave them in a container of water for a week and change the water every day. This will show if there are creatures in the plants which you just remove and dispose of.
Plants that do not say are shrimps safe are best avoided if you have shrimps or snails. But if you buy them, leave them for at least 2 weeks in a container with daily water changes to wash out any possible chemicals.

Where do you intend getting plants from? There are sellers on Ebay, and sites like proshrimp which only sell shrimp safe plants. If the seller does not say shrimp safe, they could be imports from outside the UK and treated with a snail killer.

If they are said to be shrimp safe, the worst you'll get are 'pest' snails which are actually a useful addition to a tank as long as you don't over feed the fish.
If they are in vitro plants, they can be put straight into the tank as there will be no bugs or snails or anything on them. The seller will have a photo of plants in a little tub.
For plants which are shrimp safe but not in vitro - the photo will be of a whole plant with roots, or shown with the roots in a little basket - leave them in a container of water for a week and change the water every day. This will show if there are creatures in the plants which you just remove and dispose of.
Plants that do not say are shrimps safe are best avoided if you have shrimps or snails. But if you buy them, leave them for at least 2 weeks in a container with daily water changes to wash out any possible chemicals.
Thank you, I never thought that plants bought off eBay won't be really shrimp safe..

I use one seller who does guarantee them shrimp safe and I've never had a problem - k2aqua. They may be others but I've always used this one. Though there is quite a lot of his list currently out of stock.

I use one seller who does guarantee them shrimp safe and I've never had a problem - k2aqua. They may be others but I've always used this one. Though there is quite a lot of his list currently out of stock.
I'll have a look at the seller, it does not really matter if the list is out of order as until the end of August I won't be getting anything for my tanks :/

Next to the search button is the word 'advanced' Clicking on that takes you to a whole lot of options. Almost at the bottom of the page is the heading 'sellers'. Tick the box 'only show items from' then put the seller's name in the box next to 'include'. Finally, click search and that will take you to that seller's listings.

Next to the search button is the word 'advanced' Clicking on that takes you to a whole lot of options. Almost at the bottom of the page is the heading 'sellers'. Tick the box 'only show items from' then put the seller's name in the box next to 'include'. Finally, click search and that will take you to that seller's listings.
Thank you once again @essjay ^_^

I guess Essjay had given you all the answers.

Since you will be quarantining the plants, I think it should be fine.
If you quarantine them for 1 week, if there are ich(white spot) parasites, they will die after 1 week without a host/fish.
There are people who will quarantine the plants for 4 weeks to ensure no parasites survive.
But I guess it's not necessary to quarantine so long.

Also, during the quarantine period, just remove the snails if you don't want them though as Essjay mentioned, they still have some use.
But I personally I don't like snails. LOL

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back