Shopfitting Leds Strips

Ah andy thankyou an excellent link there,

I knew that the statement on it not being more cost effective was pants but its been a long time since I have done electronics!

One must also remember the inefficiancy of magnetic MH ballasts which will actually draw in the region of 300W to give you 250W of power which is full of waste heat.

The moment I can afford one, I will look at MH, though knowing me I will end up making one.

Just think, being able to truly have dawn and sunset and perhaps even cloud effects...

you can get the dawn dusk and cloud effect with metal halide lamps, but you need a special ballast and the end cost of all the mumbo jumbo will be the same as LEDs.....

Guys, great discussion,

I may be missing some thing here but looking at the component costs of the LEDS themselves the majority must be in the material and labour in the housing manufacture in order to charge such a huge amount.

I have been looking at some other LED waterproof strips and really dont think it would cost much to rig something up with the strips shown in this link. Perhaps thers a huge marketing oppotunity we are missing here :D

The one bit I'm not sure of is the conversion to Watts as the item on the link quotes "Intensity / Brightness: 24 x 6.000mcd" so you can then calculate the number of strips required. Again I may be looking at totally the wrong things, but if you dont ask.....

Heres the link

http://www.led1.de/shop/product_info.php?p...erproof-c-71_88

daz

Hmm I dont reckon they are man enough if you gonna DIY it!

Look at these "apparently" brightest LED's on the market, and also these are dimmable too!

This link is just an example of the LED's this company sell, but I thought the spectrum would be better as they are "flood" LED's

Luxeon

and they have a good technical page too!

Technical sheet

Just to throw that one around a bit,

Only thing I noticed is they dont emit UV now forgive me but dont you want UV or not? I thought idea was to create artificail sunlight??

-_-

Pengy,

Great site for the luxeon leds, did you see the section on replacing the T8 normal fluoresent blulbs with a LEDS strip , no need to change ballast, now if they could just do that for T5's........

yeah I linked it over on page one, Its something I seriously considering in the future as it will help on electricity massivley, also what everyone else is forgetting with the right LEDs you may not need as much cooling or maybe the use of a chiller??

And yeah it would be cool to replace T5's lol

pengy, the first link you showed had 20 lumens per watt leds, there not that strong, i think they are coming out with a 50 lumen per watt led soon..... Anyway solaris uses 20 lumens per watt, and incandescent lights use around that much as well.....

Im looking for that new LED light thats going to come out, if i remember correctly those have 150 lumens per watt but that sounds like a bit much compared to the 20 lumens per watt the solaris has....

Edit: Found it :)
http://www.aquaillumination.com/

Just jumping in at the end off this, Im sure i have read that one of the problems with led is spectrum as manufacturers cant get them exactly the same every time im sure that there is also another technology coming out which will be a better replacement of m/h than led, if i find were i read it i will post back

hmm, so far the newest big light technology i have heard of is LED, not talking about aquariums, but lights in general. There are probably newer things but they havent even hit the regular market let alone the aquarium market which is generally last in line lol.

But if you find where you read it i guess i will never repeat what i said up there....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back