Sexing

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Hey, i have posted in the Africans sections aobut some jewel cichlids i bought the other day, and needed them to be sexed. But i gto few responses, and they were posotive, but not very helpful. So i figuerd i'd try to bring more attention to thread by posting a link here: http://www.fishforums.net/content/African-...1089/Sweetness/
thanks for any of your guy's help!
 
These are quite difficualt to sex as the females have plenty of colour as well.

JewelCichlidswithFry6.jpg

I was told the fish at the rear is the male. Although i would think the other way around.
As a general rule the females have less colour than the male.
 
Males grow larger than females, possess a more pronounced forehead, and exhibit more iridiophores (iridescent turquoise-blue dots) on the body and fins.

Taken from: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1348

To tell the difference between a male and a female Hemichromis guttatus (Jewel Cichlid) Hemichromis guttatus once they are about 2 inches in length, the female turns a deep red through out her body when she's looking for a mate, the male gets reddish colored cheeks but the rest of his body is either light pink in color or a yellowish green with a red line around the edge of his fins. You will also notice that the female’s body is slightly rounder than the male and her Jewel spot on her gill plate is slightly smaller than that of the male. The male will be slightly longer with a higher back than the female.
Taken from: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/h_guttatus.php
 
Thanks you guys. All is remeberd was that when i looked for sexing infromation last time i had them, i couildnt anything good, so i decided to ask people who have breed them or just know a real good site. It turns out my "fish-sense" was right. I looked in my tank last night and fed them. I was missing a fish, and started looking for it. I found the female, under some rocks with a good sized batch of eggs!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I havent bred theese fish before, so im REAL EXCITED. I will post pics when they are free swimming.
 
I took the other 2 jewels back as they were getting beat up. So now there are 2 danio's, 2 jewels and a butt load of eggs. * Fingers Crossed*
 
My local fish bloke said that the females kept opening and closing their mouths all the time ...like his wife :)
 
My local fish bloke said that the females kept opening and closing their mouths all the time ...like his wife :)


Very funny, but very inaccurate... although I don't know his wife so it may be true :rofl:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top