Sexing Small Bns

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta_Shark5678

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

I have two Albino Bristlenose Plecos in my 55 gallon tank.  One is under two inches, and both don't have any bristles yet! I've read that they start getting bristles at around two inches, but I was wondering if there's a way to tell before they get bristles.  One has a noticeably wider body than the other one, and though it's about 2" it doesn't show any signs of bristles, do you think that it's female?  The other one is still under 2", and has no bristles either, but it's body is thinner.  I was wondering if I most likely have one male, and one female or if it's still too early to tell.

Thanks! :)

2 inch is still a little earlier to be fully sure, some males just don't develop untill a later age/size.... usually about 3 inch will give a definitive answer..however, if you have to males, the one male may develop considerably slower due to lower dominance... time will tell
wink.png

Thanks! I was hoping, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to these things lol.
rolleyes.gif
  I haven't noticed any dominant behaviors from either, they just ignore each other all the time.

Betta_Shark5678 said:
Thanks! I was hoping, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to these things lol.
rolleyes.gif
  I haven't noticed any dominant behaviors from either, they just ignore each other all the time.

Fingers crossed for you, not long to go to fully be sure ;).

Essentially it's pretty difficult to tell their gender until they're around 6-10cm

- Goodluck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back