Secondary external filter for UV filtration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zaggino

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have about 450 litre tank and I'd like to setup a good UV sterilization for it. I'm planning to buy Eheim Reeflex UV 800 which recommends about 600L/h flow for proper treatment. The question is, how to get the water into and through it? The UV itself is quite big so it would be hidden under the tank where current external filter is, but I can't connect the external filter to it because the flow is much much higher than desired 600L/h. So my current idea is to buy something like EHEIM eXperience 150 which has flow of 500L/h that would basically act as a secondary filter and as a pump for the UV.

My question is - is it a good/bad idea or can you recommend something better?

Is this freshwater or marine?

Freshwater, the UV light would be on only few hours a day, the filter would keep running.

In that case, may I question why you would consider UV? This is not common in freshwater because there is no real need or benefit, generally speaking.

In that case, may I question why you would consider UV? This is not common in freshwater because there is no real need or benefit, generally speaking.

To prevent algae growth, bacteria, etc. Haven't read of any downsides so why not? Its better than pouring chemicals into the water in my opinion.

They do seem to make the water crystal clear.

To prevent algae growth, bacteria, etc. Haven't read of any downsides so why not? Its better than pouring chemicals into the water in my opinion.

Agree completely on not using chemicals [I am forever saying this myself), but UV will not prevent algae, nor most bacteria. It can be useful for green water (unicellular algae turning the water a murky green) but other types of algae will exist regardless.

Certain parasites (like ich and velvet) can only be killed if all of the water in the tank runs through the UV before it then re-enters the tank, which is next to impossible without two equal tanks. As for bacteria, these live on surfaces and are unlikely to be affected by UV to any significant degree. Besides, what about all the good bacteria. It is true that minimal benefit might occur, but not such as to warrant UV. Clean water (water changes), appropriate stocking (species, numbers), livee plants will do much more.

Agree completely on not using chemicals [I am forever saying this myself), but UV will not prevent algae, nor most bacteria. It can be useful for green water (unicellular algae turning the water a murky green) but other types of algae will exist regardless.

Certain parasites (like ich and velvet) can only be killed if all of the water in the tank runs through the UV before it then re-enters the tank, which is next to impossible without two equal tanks. As for bacteria, these live on surfaces and are unlikely to be affected by UV to any significant degree. Besides, what about all the good bacteria. It is true that minimal benefit might occur, but not such as to warrant UV. Clean water (water changes), appropriate stocking (species, numbers), livee plants will do much more.

And I've never said that I will not change water and do all the usual things, this is just something extra on top of all. The question was not much about whether to use UV or not, but rather how to technically do it.

Besides using secondary external filter the only thing I found was to have a pump in the aquarium pumping water out of it to the UV and then back to aquarium but I don't like the idea of the pump inside the tank and they usually have quite a big flow too.

Most reactions

trending

Back