Saying Goodbye To My Pair Of Kribensis.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattwhite

Reaction score
Hello all,

I received some bad advice when I was told that kribensis make good additions to a community tank. After about 2 weeks of stocking them the kribs laid some eggs and began to take over the whole tank, chasing away and attacking anything that came near.
The fry are now free swimming and the situation is much worse. My 3 cory's are the worst affected, they have lumps missing from their tails and dorsal fins.
I have decided to remove the kribs from my tank and give them to my friend who has a 6 foot tank, I will wait for the fry to be a bit bigger though so I can remove them as well.

I really liked the kribs, and before they spawmed they where the focal point of my tank. I would lke to get something to replace them but I just dont know what.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

An upset Matt

It's unfortunate, you did get some poor advice. Kribs are great community fish, under the correct circumstances. They need a larger tank, 29+ gallons for a single pair. Their tankmates need to be predominantly surface and middle strata fish, and fast enough to easily get away from the breeding pair. I kept them for a few years and mine were with zebra danios, which served that purpose quite well. I never kept them with corys, bottom-dwelling war would break out, with the kribs winning, as you have already seen.

A 21g is too small for a pair of kribs. A single fish would do nicely as a centerpiece fish in your tank. You might not have to get rid of all of them.

aye thats what I was gonna say, just keep 1, then if they're not breeding they won't have this issue.

don't know a lot about kribs specifically though as i've never kept them

It amuses me that kribs are often labelled as community fish. And yes they are when not breeding but as soon as eggs are layed they turn into the nastiest little fish in the tank lol. It really depends on what sort of fish you like as to what to replace them with (obviously tank size is a restraint)

I have an 80 litre tank which contains:

3 guppys
2 platys
9 neons
4 Harlequins
3 cherry barbs
3 corys

I am thinking of adding a ram (or a pair).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back