Saving a betta splendens

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello, i have a betta that is on the brink of death because of bad water conditions. i moved him to a different tank that has really good water. He is not swimming however, and is just resting. He is not interested in food
image.jpg

I feel like the fresh and perfect water parameters might be shocking his system. But that's just my opinion. Might have been better to do small but frequent water changes to give less of a shock to his system.

But I'd listen to someone with more experience than me.

If he's in with ammonia and/or nitrites, the shock of clean water will be less harmful than staying in the old water. Hope he recovers OK. Bettas are tough and sometimes they'll surprise you. How did he get into that fix, anyway?

If he's in with ammonia and/or nitrites, the shock of clean water will be less harmful than staying in the old water. Hope he recovers OK. Bettas are tough and sometimes they'll surprise you. How did he get into that fix, anyway?
there was an outbreak of so much algae after I renovated his tank... and many plants died
I am not sure what caused it...
I feel like the fresh and perfect water parameters might be shocking his system. But that's just my opinion. Might have been better to do small but frequent water changes to give less of a shock to his system.

But I'd listen to someone with more experience than me.
That's a good point, perhaps he can't swim because of the shock

He has no muscle mass and a big tail. That's a skinny Betta. I expect he can recover, maybe, but it will be hard for him to drag around the fins. Remember that type of finnage is human manipulated and not natural, and breeders don't always focus on the muscles a Betta needs to spend its life as a bride swimming in a wedding dress. He's need some tlc, and a little attention to be sure fungus doesn't get into the folds of his fins while he is less active.
Betta splendens are a relatively ammonia resistant fish, given that they can get their air at the surface.

I wish I could be as hopeful as others. Hope I’m wrong though.
When a fish stops eating there’s little chance of survival. Bettas can breathe air at the surface, but they are affected by poor water quality just like any other fish.

I wish I could be as hopeful as others. Hope I’m wrong though.
When a fish stops eating there’s little chance of survival. Bettas can breathe air at the surface, but they are affected by poor water quality just like any other fish.
My Espresso (my Betta lol) stopped eating for 2 days because I closed the lid loudly and he got stressed... I know it's not the same, but Bettas are pretty hardy when it comes to things like that IMO. 🙂

How is your betta?
What are the parameters from the tank where you put the betta? I suggested giving live food such as adult brine shrimps, if possible with some bioencapsulation.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back