Sand

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm not sure this is the place to post this but I'd like to hear some opinions on sand and on what type of sand to pick.
smile.png

So should I pick fine or coarse sand? I'm going to have cories which makes me lean towards fine sand but at the same time I'm worried the sand will go everywhere and make the water cloudy.

Also I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me choose between these types of sand and which you think would look best, it's really hard to choose because they all look great :p

Unipac Fiji 

36fa3ca82d830f115fbe7936fe5a3dfb.image.500x500.jpg

Unipac Maui

65882d33b864b0789611e80ce29a5bf1.image.500x500.jpg

Unipac Samoa

15d78f975b31c427e06dfbe6c721a5e4.image.500x500.jpg

Thanks
smile.png

I use this sand and my Bronze corys love it as long as you give the sand a really good rinsing before you add it to the tank I wouldn't worry about cloudy water  
123011.jpg

These looks like gravel to me, not sand? Unless these are very close up shots! 

Cories dont do so well with coarse sand/gravel as these can be sharp and can cause damage.

Any fine sand would do just fine really

EDIT - just noticed pingu did a post, that sort of sand would be fine, have seen these in MA stores, a little pricey but decent enough.

They are close ups the size of them are approx 1mm The Unipac Samoa is more of a base layer gravel for plants

pingu2013 said:
I use this sand and my Bronze corys love it as long as you give the sand a really good rinsing before you add it to the tank I wouldn't worry about cloudy water  
123011.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, but the shop I'm buying at only seems to stock Unipac sand. And I'll do that, thanks.

You have nothing else close???. Id just buy of the internet or find another shop you seem really limited.

pingu2013 said:
You have nothing else close???. Id just buy of the internet or find another shop you seem really limited.

I could buy from a different store but then again I'm not sure if I want white sand, it contrasts too much with the plants in my opinion and doesn't look very natural for a tropical tank. I've just found some aquariums using silica sand and I love how they look so I might use that

508 - I see that you are UK based, like me :)

There should be several LFS nearby like Maidenhead Aquatics, they are a fairly decent chain store.

Google search for that and am sure there will be one or two near where you live.
Where I am, there's about 4 MA stores within 35 minutes drive including 2 Pets at Home stores as well as a small LFS.

It's worth visiting as many as you can nearby to see if there is one or two stores that may be decent enough to give you a variety of choices for decor, plants, stocking as well as equipment. :)

Ch4rlie said:
508 - I see that you are UK based, like me
smile.png

There should be several LFS nearby like Maidenhead Aquatics, they are a fairly decent chain store.

Google search for that and am sure there will be one or two near where you live.
Where I am, there's about 4 MA stores within 35 minutes drive including 2 Pets at Home stores as well as a small LFS.

It's worth visiting as many as you can nearby to see if there is one or two stores that may be decent enough to give you a variety of choices for decor, plants, stocking as well as equipment.
smile.png

Yes I have a fairly large Maidenhead near me with all types of fish and it's where I'll be getting my equipment, plants and fish however I don't recall them having any JBL sansibar sand when I visited and I couldn't find it on their website either.

Either way, I've made up my mind to use silica sand because it looks natural and the tone is very appealing. Thanks for the help guys
smile.png

No problem at all, as long as you're happy (and the cories too of course:) ) thats the main thing :)

Most reactions

Back