Sand In Your Tropical Fish Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You might want to just clarify the "silver sand" bit. There are two grades sold (at least here in the UK), known as 'sharp' and 'smooth'. Sharp sand is unsuitable.

You are quite correct in saying that sharp sand is unsuitable
but every bag of sharp sand I've ever seen is labled as such and
every bag of silver sand is either labled 'silver sand' or 'play sand'.

going to sand a 2nd time, already set up, I am looking for some fish that likes to dig in sand

what common fish will do this?

no snails

Pretty much all bottom dwelling fish will dig. Catfish like cories and plecs love shuffling about in the sand, and you'll be amazed how much longer catfish whiskers grow if they're not being worn down by the gravel. Loaches do much the same thing.

But if you're after fish that will actually to something with the sand, then try out these species, which all burrow into it, sometimes covering themselves completely.

Horseface loaches
Spiny eels
Soles and flounders
White cheek gobies -- Rhinogobius duospilus
Dragon (violet) gobies -- Gobioides spp.
Banjo catfish

Other species are "eartheaters" and will swallow and spit out mouthfuls of sand while they hunt for food.

Butterfly (candy stripe) gobies -- Awaous strigatus
Eartheater cichlids

Supposedly South American puffers will dig into the sand, but I've never seen that with my puffer.

In a sandy tank, such fish are essential to keep it clean, and will save you the job of sifting it periodically. Eartheating cichlids and gobies are especially effective.

Cheers,

Neale

going to sand a 2nd time, already set up, I am looking for some fish that likes to dig in sand

what common fish will do this?

no snails

Hello,

Need some help, i'm buying a new tank on Saturday and i've decided to go for sand after reading through the forum (which was very helpful). I've found some play sand at Argos which I was going to buy, but i've just come across this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?...s=1138289503247
Are these types suitable, I fancy having sand but want to go for a different colour to spice things up, could you check out the link and let me know if this is suitable, or if you could recommend any other places in England that sell suitable sand for aquarium.

Thanks in advance!

it all depends on wether or not Supamix have used artificial colours to get that effect.
I suggest contacting them direct with the enquiry on 0247 6351251

From what I've read on here, the filter has the largest amount of bacteria, and can pretty much replace all bacteria lost by means of a substrate change in the course of a day. I've read debates, but this is the side that generally won out. Therefore... is it necessary to put the gravel back in? Also, same thing goes with the old tank water. The beneficial bacteria generally is not free-floating, so the only real purpose that I see to keeping the old tank water is to keep the water chemistry from changing too much.

I bring this up since I use 2 3-gallon buckets for water changes, and I'm willing to go get 2 more, but for a 45 gallon tank, I'd need 7 or so buckets to get the suggested half of the water out. And, in either case, I do 30-50% water changes often enough, so that shouldn't upset the fish too much, methinks.

Thoughts?

no it is not neccisary but IMHO
it would be better to than not.

you may wish to keep your eye on the tank params too for the first week or so
just incase there is a mini cycle.

No test kit, so that's not really going to happen, unfortunately...

Also, I didn't mean that the answer was needed (I gues I should have said that in the other post) since I already changed out the substrate, but thanks for the reply. ^_^

I've been considering using river sand (which I can source locally from strams & lakes).

I know that it would need quite a bit of cleaning and probably boiling to ensure that any living organisms were removed, but are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this ?

I suppose that the sand wouldn't be graded in the same way as it would if you buy it in a bag, and will probably include all sizes from very fine to say 4-5mm dia. Given that it is river sand though, the particles should be well eroded and nicely rounded - so not too sharp.

I just think it could look really nice as it is basically a very pale grey colour with a bit of variation, and should look very natural.

Any thoughts welcomed.

so this is not for salt water fish.. im getting realyl confused.....

Hi All,

Just have another question if possible :) - I have heard that in time the sand can wear away the glass of the aquarium - should I then maybe put down a piece of polythene or some sort of barrier to keep the sand directly away from the glass?

Great Topic and so much information - essential for a newbie like me!

Thanks,

C

Just have another question if possible :) - I have heard that in time the sand can wear away the glass of the aquarium - should I then maybe put down a piece of polythene or some sort of barrier to keep the sand directly away from the glass?

It's unlikely to do any more damage than gravel does, and even then, it's not much. Problems only tend to come when you trap sand in something like an algae magnet and scratch the glass, but if you're sensible that's unlikely.

I would like to change over my tank from gravel to sand, but have no where to put my fish while I'm doing this. How long will it take the sand to settle. If I put some new media in my filter and leave that going will that filter it out faster? Or will the fish be ok in cloudy water?

I would like to change over my tank from gravel to sand, but have no where to put my fish while I'm doing this. How long will it take the sand to settle. If I put some new media in my filter and leave that going will that filter it out faster? Or will the fish be ok in cloudy water?

leave the fish in the tank
make sure the sand is well washed (and then rinsed in dechlorinated water)

don't change the filter at all to start with - there are 2 places good bacteria build ups... the filter and the tank surfaces - you'll be removing a lot of bacteris with the gravel so the filter needs to be left alone or you risk causing a cycle in the tank

If it does go cloudy (you should have washed it better!)
If you can, add another filter / powerhead with loads of filter wool,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back