Salinity Question

love cichlids

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just did my change of water in my gsp tank and the salinity was 1.012. I had too much salt in the bucket and now salinity is 1.014. My gsp has not had a change of salinity since i have had her since summer. Is this too high of a increase or should it be ok. Is it stressful for her getting used to the change. What signs should I look for to know that it is too stressful for her. She is now 3 inches. She was quite small when I first got her.

Although I don't know that much about caring for GSPs inparticular I do know about raising SG. An increase of .002SG during a water chance is acceptable but you should not exceed it over the course of 1 week. From what I understand you need to give your biological filter time to adapt to the change. In nature brackish fish experience salinity changes on a regular basis so this change should not be a problem. When raising or lowering my specific gravity I typically mix in water that is .004SG higher/lower that what I already have in the tank. This usually bumps it up about .002SG more or less depending on how much water I am replacing.

I think that the salinity was too low for her because she was greyish in color until I increased the salinity. Now she is looking alot better, back to bright color she should be. So I guess it was a good mistake. I see no stress to be worried about.

Most reactions

Back