Rob's 450L oscar aquarium - from North London to the Amazon

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 19, 2022
Messages
110
Reaction score
64
Points
28
Location
London, UK
Hi all...

I finally got my hands on a Juwel Rio 450L, which I'll be slowly pimping over the course of the year. :cool:

Here goes with the first pic dump:

1177A42F-8FCE-4066-BA28-2ADD5053A124.JPG

1B23AFA8-A88E-4425-9516-711C5B861876.JPG

Started adding the sand today. Went for Unipac Limpopo Black. ⬛
Thanks for the recommend @AquaBarb & @Rocky998 - really pleased with the colour at first glance (although I suspect it'll lighten over time). It didn't need a huge amount of cleaning either.:banana:

9716426F-A516-4475-8616-1C2434A4BC4C.JPG

A9C619EF-AEDD-49E7-8D4E-80BAE447F64D.JPG

Updates to follow but it's a slow process...

:)
 
Last edited:
Hi all...

I finally got my hands on a Juwel Rio 450L, which I'll be slowly pimping over the course of the year. :cool:

Here goes with the first pic dump:

View attachment 155244

View attachment 155245

Started adding the sand today. Went for Unipac Limpopo Black. ⬛
Thanks for the recommend @AquaBarb & @Rocky998 - really pleased with the colour at first glance (although I suspect it'll lighten over time). It didn't need a huge amount of cleaning either.:banana:

View attachment 155243

View attachment 155242

Updates to follow but it's a slow process...

:)
Thanks! Cant wait to see it when the scape is done!
 
Aquadecor 3d backdrop & rocks arrived today. :wizard:

No clue how to install so wish me luck with that! :/
 

Attachments

  • 6494AC81-AAF4-4784-8D90-D8E0B2E56F7E.webp
    6494AC81-AAF4-4784-8D90-D8E0B2E56F7E.webp
    248.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 0F8F4ADE-C2F4-4E92-BCFF-F10CFF760023.webp
    0F8F4ADE-C2F4-4E92-BCFF-F10CFF760023.webp
    383.6 KB · Views: 200
It's taken me an age to find the time to get this thing properly cycled, so here goes (finally)...

In goes the Gold Nugget Pleco:
33E64C71-6759-4E60-9253-62CEAAC9FEA6.webp

B4F53E04-CEAB-4108-8320-5DA10D066C28.webp


And in goes the Red Tailed Black Shark:
693763BF-7332-46D1-8E4B-0E8A2F2682E9.webp


And finally there's been a bit of aqua-scaping going on with the addition of some plants (Anubias, Cryptocoryne):
9C761C2C-1557-453A-A55C-40165105D74A.webp
 
Bristlenose Pleco going in...

DCE5BE87-62A2-44BD-BC23-A64824FE5DC2.webp

IMG_0138.webp


Adding a few java ferns and an echinodorus into the mix:

IMG_0134.webp
 
Looking good - but just one comment. Java fern should not be planted in the substrate or the rhizome will rot. The best thing is to attach it to decor, though I can be grown with the rhizome on top of the substrate if you are careful not to bury it accidentally.
 
Great tank. You might consider entering it in our February Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 31 US gallons and larger.

Also please vote in our present TOTM contest. Click link at top of forum, view the entries, and then vote for TOTM.
 
Looking good - but just one comment. Java fern should not be planted in the substrate or the rhizome will rot. The best thing is to attach it to decor, though I can be grown with the rhizome on top of the substrate if you are careful not to bury it accidentally.

Great tip - thank you! :)
 
Looking good - but just one comment. Java fern should not be planted in the substrate or the rhizome will rot. The best thing is to attach it to decor, though I can be grown with the rhizome on top of the substrate if you are careful not to bury it accidentally.
This also applies to the Anubias.
 
On the above - I'm due to shift some of the plants around as per your advice (thank you). Some of the plants just have roots directly in the substrate, others are in a self sufficient cotton wool pot thingy.

Do I need to move both? If so, how do I weight the ones without a pot?

Cheers! :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top