Removing an internal filter.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stanster59

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank, Juwel Lido 120, has an internal filter and heater housed in a plastic case in one corner. It's held in place by blobs of silicon. I'm considering trying to remove it and change to an external filter which I can house in the cabinet below.

Just wondering how successful this unlikely to be, I'm guessing I would need to set up the other filter first in case the internal filter gets damaged whilst attempting removal.

You would first need to have two filters running in the same time, so the second filter can house the beneficial bacteria. Of course you could just put some old filter media from the internal filter into the external one and switch it immediately. If you decide to take the internal filter out, you need to keep it in a bucket of tank water so the bacteria don't die, while you are setting up the new filter. The filter won't be damaged in the process.

Is the heater included in the external filter as well? If not you could just have the heater inside on its own, if it comes with its own cable, which I think it does.

Im considering the fluval 207, so I'd need to keep the heater.

It's just how get the internal plastic housing off the glass that's my worry.

I'm going to try and slide something in at the next water change of I can.

Hey there, I recently removed the internal filter on a Juwel Rio 180 BUT it was a new tank set up, which made it much easier than modifying an established tank I imagine. How I got the internal filter out (after much struggling trying to peel and scrape the silicon off the glass in such a small gap!) was by gently heating the side of the aquarium with a hairdryer so that the silicon became warm and soft. The whole filter box came away rather easily. I don't know how this will go with an established tank though, but it should work when water levels are low enough during a water change?

Hey there, I recently removed the internal filter on a Juwel Rio 180 BUT it was a new tank set up, which made it much easier than modifying an established tank I imagine. How I got the internal filter out (after much struggling trying to peel and scrape the silicon off the glass in such a small gap!) was by gently heating the side of the aquarium with a hairdryer so that the silicon became warm and soft. The whole filter box came away rather easily. I don't know how this will go with an established tank though, but it should work when water levels are low enough during a water change?
Thanks. What did you replace it with ?

I removed the internal filter from a Rio 125 with fish in the tank. I did it during a water change so the water didn't slosh over the side.

All that's needed is a flexible blade - I sacrificed an old kitchen knife. Saw through the top silicone blobs on one side, then ease the filter away from the glass and saw through the lower two. Repeat for the other side. There will be black silicone left on the glass; I used a stanley knife blade to scrape it off. You do need to be careful not to touch the silicone joining the panes of glass together.

If your tank doesn't anything in it yet, Annah's method is probably easier.
If it is running with fish, just move all the media into the new filter and fill any gaps with media that comes with the new filter. After a couple of months the old media can start being replaced with new, one piece every month.

I removed the internal filter from a Rio 125 with fish in the tank. I did it during a water change so the water didn't slosh over the side.

All that's needed is a flexible blade - I sacrificed an old kitchen knife. Saw through the top silicone blobs on one side, then ease the filter away from the glass and saw through the lower two. Repeat for the other side. There will be black silicone left on the glass; I used a stanley knife blade to scrape it off. You do need to be careful not to touch the silicone joining the panes of glass together.

If your tank doesn't anything in it yet, Annah's method is probably easier.
If it is running with fish, just move all the media into the new filter and fill any gaps with media that comes with the new filter. After a couple of months the old media can start being replaced with new, one piece every month.

Just done a water change, investigated a few implements.

It's pretty cruddy behind the filter, will be glad to get it off and have a cleaner looking tank.

Have ordered the Fluval 207.

Won't restock until everything has been done.

Last edited:
I’m am looking to do the same as you for and probably going to get the fluval 207 also. Please could you provide an update on this and maybe some pics please ? Much appreciated

Used a Stanley knife blade, put some of the old filter media in the new filter. Didn't start to run the external till I'd removed the internal.

Easy to do in the end, suggestions used in the thread. Went for an oase biomaster therm in the end so heater wasn't in the tank.

I’ve done this too ? a razor blade removes any last bits of silicone on the glass.

IMG_20210529_111844.jpg
IMG_20210529_111824.jpg
IMG_20210529_111805_burst_01.jpg

I did order a fluval but exchanged it for the Oase, the inlet and outlet pipes were a bit higher so the lid didn't sit flush and would have need some modifications to the lid.

Most reactions

trending

Back