Reed Fish In Species Index

bala

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Australia
hey, i was looking for the reed fish (ropefish) in the fish speicies index page on this forum but couldnt find it (not sure wot catagory of fish its under) can anyone help me out. cheers thanks bye
 
It's scientific name is Erpetoichthys calabaricus if that helps. Also, just wondering what you want to find out? Because I have one and I can answer some questions. First, they like to be kept in groups (3-5). Mine is getting some friends in 1 or 2 months. Second, they grow 16 inches. Thrid they will eat any small tetras(neon size) They are very cute, friendly and tame. They like bloodworms and carnivore pellets a lot.

Sorry if this didn't help at all. :sad: But there you go, hope that helps! :nod:
 
It's scientific name is Erpetoichthys calabaricus if that helps. Also, just wondering what you want to find out? Because I have one and I can answer some questions. First, they like to be kept in groups (3-5). Mine is getting some friends in 1 or 2 months. Second, they grow 16 inches. Thrid they will eat any small tetras(neon size) They are very cute, friendly and tame. They like bloodworms and carnivore pellets a lot.

Sorry if this didn't help at all. :sad: But there you go, hope that helps! :nod:


hey, cheers, yea thats kinda stuff i wanto find out, plus there behaviour with other (larger) fish (i dont like small fish like tetras and guppy's :P), there recommended Temp, Ph, etc and general behaviour of them etc, but yea u answerd a few of my inquiries :). and also while im here.

will 2 of them be ok with 1 bala shark (i know bala's should be kept in school's :( ) rainbow shark Black Ghost knife and a Siamese (thed prob eat the siemese ey?) and if so would a tank 5ftx16inx20in be a suitable size for them all?

btw yea there beautiful fish so fasinating.
 
LOL @ 16" - try 3ft if given the right conditions - I personally had a 2ft one that sadly died of unknown causes :( I'd got him from someone else so it could even have been old age at that size.

Please don't keep just 1 or 2 though, I have 5 and I know at least 2 other members have small groups of them and they do so much better - I eventually want 8-10 of them!

They should be fine with your fish though, even the betta depending on temperament and your tank size is fine. One thing - they are the master escape artists you need a really secure lid - even holes for heater wires/filter pipes need plugging (i use bubble wrap which has worked fine so far)

Mine are very greedy and eat anything (even flake! though small carnivore pellets, prawn and bloodworm is better), they've not touched any fish though, I have praecox rainbows and glass cats in with them.
 
oh kool awsome, i might be buying a 5ft tank in the next week so atleast now i know that when i get some reefish (if i can find any no aquarium ir pet store ive been to has got them or even herd of them, i live in south australia, australia, btw) so yea atelast i know they be ok with my current fish, a group of 3 would be ok yea?
 
I'd go for 4 personally but 3 is better than 1 or 2.
 
no worries, and whats a general price on them? (in australian if u know)
 
dunno over there I'm afraid, mine ranged from £6-£10 each but they were fairly cheap.
 
I believe 3 feet is only in the wild. For ropefish that is. They are 18 US dollars over here.
 
3ft may be a max size but you definitely need to be prepared for 24" (2ft) or more.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top