Reducing Water Temp

goosej13

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey guys.. WELL we are getting a major heat wave where i live and my tanks are sky rocketing with the temp... What is a good method to reduce the temp??
 
I put water in zip-lock bags and froze it, then put them into my tank to try and reduce the temp. I have a 65 gal and to be honest one bag usually drops the temp about one degree, sometimes 2.
 
is there a more concrete way... that will work temporaraly but if we have hot weather all summer how can i keep it lower?
 
its a 60 gallon with oscars ... turning out the lights didn't change it... Im really looking to get a solution that is professional... Im looking for somehting like a heater.. but a cooler... any suggestions
 
Stick the tank in your refrigerator. That should cool it down. lol.

Um... not the best suggestion, but possibly move it to a more shaded area? Possibly move it the the coolest area of your living area.
 
How hot is hot, and what's in the tank besides oscars?
 
Turn off lights, put a fan in the room, keep heater off, ice cubes, curtains, etc. If all those are combined, you shouldnt have a problem. I dont evern try to lower my tanks temp, figure, its natural, it would heat up like this in the wild, plus they dont show any effects from the heat, and its a waste of my time if it isnt going to harm them.
 
Try running a fan across the top of the water to cause evaporation. If you do this, keep up on top offs. This should keep it down 2 or 3 degrees.

hahaha all the people replying are from the midwest (U.S.)
 
I had 100% the same problem that my Fish couldn't possibly work in my climate and the bad news is the only way I could control it was buying air con. I have a 75 Gal it was a good fight ...

most fish can take the temp. Problem is oxygen per part absorbing drops and the fish will get lethargic.

Are we talking over heating like 83?

I tried fans, ice, taking the lid off.

Best thing to do is ..

Change the water with water only 1 or 2 degrees colder ... Do many small changes over time the tank will go down.
Turn off all equipment not required ESPECIALLY the light.
If you can take the lid off the tank.

As I said I am in the same boat its either fight the tank all summer or get air con. PS. the weather here gets way into the 90s+
 

Most reactions

Back
Top