Reduced Flow At Night....?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Protein skimmers benefit water quality by facilitating two major processes - gas exchange and export of organic wastes.

These are both critical to the maintenance of optimum water conditions. The sad truth is that no captive system can ever truly duplicate the conditions found on a natural coral reef. Effective protein skimming can, however, bring us very close to this desired goal. The beneficial gas exchange that goes on inside of a protein skimmer is largely dissolution of atmospheric oxygen into the aquarium water. Other gases like nitrogen and hydrogen also play roles here, but we aren't as interested in them. Some evidence even suggests that ammonia might be "blown-off" into the atmosphere during protein skimming. It is important to keep dissolved oxygen levels as high as possible, since most organisms (fish, corals, inverts, etc.) we keep are used to these conditions found in the wild. Waste removal is accomplished through chemical interactions between charged particles of air and water, which allows proteins, trace elements, and other compounds to become attached to air droplets. These protein-laden air droplets then coalesce into a thick foam which is skimmed off into a collection cup. Those who are interested in the technical aspects of protein skimming should read Richard Harker's recent article in Marine Fish and Reef USA, which is an extremely informative document regarding the complex chemistry of the process. Delbeek and Sprung's The Reef Aquarium is another source of information regarding the topic..

Excerpt from this article from www.proteinskimmer.com

Protein skimmers benefit water quality by facilitating two major processes - gas exchange and export of organic wastes.

These are both critical to the maintenance of optimum water conditions. The sad truth is that no captive system can ever truly duplicate the conditions found on a natural coral reef. Effective protein skimming can, however, bring us very close to this desired goal. The beneficial gas exchange that goes on inside of a protein skimmer is largely dissolution of atmospheric oxygen into the aquarium water. Other gases like nitrogen and hydrogen also play roles here, but we aren't as interested in them. Some evidence even suggests that ammonia might be "blown-off" into the atmosphere during protein skimming. It is important to keep dissolved oxygen levels as high as possible, since most organisms (fish, corals, inverts, etc.) we keep are used to these conditions found in the wild. Waste removal is accomplished through chemical interactions between charged particles of air and water, which allows proteins, trace elements, and other compounds to become attached to air droplets. These protein-laden air droplets then coalesce into a thick foam which is skimmed off into a collection cup. Those who are interested in the technical aspects of protein skimming should read Richard Harker's recent article in Marine Fish and Reef USA, which is an extremely informative document regarding the complex chemistry of the process. Delbeek and Sprung's The Reef Aquarium is another source of information regarding the topic..

Excerpt from this article from www.proteinskimmer.com
And that site is owned by a company making skimmers, so I wouldn't consider them entirely unbiased in what a skimmer can do. ;)

This should be evidence enough?

image009.jpg

Read the whole article with experimental conditions...

yes he stated that tanks with protein skimmers have more O2 than usual, but why? Did he explain and give proof of why there was more O2 with skimmers? maybe it was a HOB skimmer and the splashing water added some O2?

Oh brother.... :no:

Any agitation will allow water to either lose or gain some gases. With a venturi type when the bubbles mix with the water are you saying there will be no dissipation of O2?

There are more articles online (wetwebmedia etc etc) that discuss the contribution from skimmers to O2, just google them. Can you provide evidence that backs up your assumption as these posts are the first I have ever seen suggesting that skimmers dont add O2?

Ok, so what evidence is there that the skimmer doesnt add O2 to the water?

Its simple physics if you ask me? you inject bubbles/air into water it will trap O2 in the water ir-regardless of what organics are coated in the skimming process? Not all or every bubble is released into the collection cup? some water is released out via waste pipe?

I have often wondered why not add a air pump into my sump for extra O2 injection?

I think to be fair that a statement like that is balony?

Yeah I have turned my 1600lph PH off at night for a good month now at no trouble in parmas, I only run a 600Lph at night and my scwd returning water from sump via 2 outlets

ok then, im wrong, i never said i was perfectly right, i just dont see any proof that it adds O2 because the air isnt in contact with water, it is in contact with organics. But i can be wrong.

I see exactly where you are coming from it is in contact with organics agreed, But like I sadi not all of those bubbles get treleased into the collection chamber? thats why my skimmer comes with a bubble trap

:)

then they just pop, and the organics go back into the water, and the air goes back into the atmosphere.

its the action on the waters surface, think about how an airstone works...

exactly, thats surface agiation, not dissolving bubbles.

so whats happening inside the skimmer tube thats any different?

so whats happening inside the skimmer tube thats any different?
In many skimmers it is sealed, so there is no easy path for fresh air (carrying oxygen) to access the reaction chamber. As already noted, the bubbles are not often in the water column enough to allow meaningful gas exchange.

how can there be surface agiation if there is no surface. You know how some people have an oily surface, imagine making that thick that it blocks out air, well your fish are going to die and your tank is going to stink. The oily coat on top of the water prevents air from getting through, so whats happening in the skimmer bubbles thats any different

I have no scientific proof, or experiance, but im using common sense, even though common sense can prove to be wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Back