Red Tail Shark

rowens86

New Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Points
0
How can i calm down my red tail shark, it is chasing my cichlids around and im worried they might get stressed out. African Cichlids = 1 MELANOCHROMIS AURATUS, 1 electric yellow and 1 Kenyi all about the same size as red tail shark about 3 inches. I dont think he can bite them with his little mouth, but he can chase them like crazy.

Plenty of hiding areas rocks, caves, plants and open swimming areas
Its a 20 Gal long - 30 inch long
About a 8 month set up, Perfect water conditions

Any advice??

Thanks!
 
In a tank that size it's not surprising you're seeing agression from the RTBS. There is little you can do to combat it. In short, the tank is not suitable for the fish and especially not with cichlids (who can be teritoral themselves).

Kind regards

Jimi
 
Red tail sharks are a very teratorial, and are notorious for this behaviour.
Unfortunatly I don't think there is too much you can do to calm him down. How long have they been together?
 
about 5 months and its has been getting worse after feeding time
 
They are beautiful fish - but extremely territorial and as they get bigger, and older, this behaviour
will manifest itself more and more.
20 gals really is too small for a RTBS when he will be adult size -
and once thy fixate on a fish they won't leave them alone.
It will end in stressed out fish, and probably dead ones.

I think the choice is either the RTBS or the Cichlids, but not both - Sorry ! :sad:
 
Most people would recommend to move him out. (As would I)

Me too. I had a Red Finned Black Shark in a 220ltr tank. A lovely fish but his chasing of others just became to much. So I took him back to the LFS. Got £1.50 for him, not much but I'm still glad he's gone for the sake of ex-tank mates.
 
I agree with what has been said above.

The only real option is to re-home the fish. If its bad now after just 5 months then its only going to get worse as the fish hits full maturity.

To minimise aggression RTBS should be kept in tanks that are minimum of 55 US gallons

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top