Red Tail Shark Food

I would say highly doubtful. The shark might nip the fins on a Betta or the Betta might get aggressive with a shark. I've never kept the two together but seeing as both are aggressive fish but the shark having the advantage, it's a potential disaster.

If my RTB can chase a group of 8 tiger barbs and ive seen him stand up to my 6" Severum which hes currently housed with then i wouldn't put too much hope of a betta making it with one. Just my opinion though!

Teelie said:
Discomafia said:
I thought you needed a minimum of 50 gallons for a RTBS?
Nope, they get to about 6 inches at most and can do suitably fine in a 30 with a few other fish that are not competition to them.

As to other sharks, the only other one I can think of is the Rainbow which IIRC is even more aggressive than Red Tails.
Interesting... What are other fish I can keep in my tank with a school of cories? In addition to a RTBS I mean.

With cories? Anything nonaggressive or territorial of the bottom of the tank. Almost no other community fish will fight with cories.

i heard you can only have 1 RTBS or 6 or more,nothing in between.but ofcoarse you are going to have one big tank with 6

DD

Nothing more? I was reading about a size diff. between RTBS's and Rainbow sharks. RTBS's get up to 4", but Rainbow/Ruby sharks (Epalzeorhynchus frenatus)get up to 6". From personal experience, is this true guys? If so, I'd prefer getting the bigger Rainbow shark, especially if I can't keep any other fish...

And just to confirm DD, you say I can't keep anything else other than a RTBS and 5 cories in a 33 gallon? Wouldn't want to go the 6 RTBS route, the tank is a 33G, not a 330G ! Yet... :D

Hmm... Nothing in the fish index.

I have a RTBS thats over five inches long so them maxing out at four isn't true.
It is not recommended that a RTBS shares a tank with any other RTBS or other fish that are of the same shape because they will fight and and it often ends in death. Did you ever see RTBS in your LFS their fins do be torn to shreds and are generally in bad shape, This is because they share the same living space with lots of other RTBS in transit and do fight.

You either need just one Or many, But if your not going to keep them in a mbuna style tank then you need to give them atleast 500 gallons each They are highly territorial and if one spots another they will symbolically fight over and over again.

No tank mates that have the same type of body as the RTBS i read. So what fish CAN I keep in there?

I used to have a RTBS with danios, guppies and cories and the little bugger wouldn't leave my guppies alone. He was nipping at their fins real bad so i finally had to move them into a 5 gallon on their own (which made them much happier). So i'm assuming that the same would go for a betta and since bettas are pretty much known for their fins, why risk losing those fins and put it in with a shark man who will definently nip at them.

But other then that, they seem to do well with danios since they all either chase eachother around or mind their own business.

Most reactions

Back