April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi. I've been strictly freshwater for many years, but I was considering the Red Sea Max as a way to get introduced into Marine aquaria, and it looks like the unit contains just about everything to get started. My problem is that I don't have much space left to set up another tank, and the size of this unit is just about right.

Obviously there are pros & cons with a unit with everything basically built in. Anyone have one or familiar with the Red Sea Max? Comments in general would be appreciated also.

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/index.html

Expensive, but there doesn't seem to be anything low cost about marine.

Thanks

You could make the lot cheaper if you buy individually

But my LFS has a Red Sea Max set up on his counter & they are amazing little tanks

I would suggest increasing the flow rate but other tahn that they are very good

Also Deltec are also doing a 'complete' Nano 24UKG for around the same price

Hey - thanks for the comments. Yes, I figured I could probably do it cheaper by buying components. Then I might have a few bucks left to buy live rock & fish! I'll have to check on Deltec too - thanks for that information. Right now I'm looking at a lot of options and trying to learn a lot about marine before I jump into it blindly.

Hey - thanks for the comments. Yes, I figured I could probably do it cheaper by buying components. Then I might have a few bucks left to buy live rock & fish! I'll have to check on Deltec too - thanks for that information. Right now I'm looking at a lot of options and trying to learn a lot about marine before I jump into it blindly.

got my redsea max nano, had it 9 wks now, great unit, short cycle so it seems, all in one a complete package, one plug .. does exactly what it says on the tin, and rather well i do think :)

hmmm they look ok, we priced up setting one up and with enough LR, and everything else you need you're looking at at least a grand.

i'd definitely build up a system yourself from component parts, it'll be a lot cheaper and better :good:

hmmm they look ok, we priced up setting one up and with enough LR, and everything else you need you're looking at at least a grand.

i'd definitely build up a system yourself from component parts, it'll be a lot cheaper and better :good:

not sure where you get your bits, but i bought one for 699, for that i got all the salt, all the sand, all the test kits, chemicals to kick start the bio filter if need be, all i added was 15kg of live rock, at a cost of 135 quid, and hey presto, a tank ready for anything after a 3 - 4 wk cylce, at a cost of 835 quid..

nice :)

they retail around 700 quid, once you've added your LR and CUC and an RO unit your easily at a grand without even thinking of corals and fish

Yes its cool but i dont think you need all that filtration i mean its good but could lead to nitrates. Plus there are no fans to cool the PC lighting ouch hot! finally i dont think its worth the price.

Yes its cool but i dont think you need all that filtration i mean its good but could lead to nitrates. Plus there are no fans to cool the PC lighting ouch hot! finally i dont think its worth the price.

theres two fans in the hood, that run when the lights are on, cooling it nicely :)

dont have a issue with nitrates at all, i change the filter floss every othre wk, just bin and put new in..

the rest takes care of itself, carbon bag in there as well to polish..

nice :)

reccomeded to all..

and a lot less than a grand.

You can often find red sea max tanks on ebay going pretty cheap although nice ones tend to hold there value well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back