Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all

In my 10 litre I have a 50 watt heater which keeps the temperature between 25 and 26.5 degrees, is that temperature range ok or should I downgrade to a 25 watt heater instead?

I recently brought some otto affinis and its wasn't until I had paid that the fish shop let me know they were wild caught. So my questions are

1. Are they any special things I need to do for wild caught fish?
2. I used to use prevent algae to keep the algae down can I still use this or is it best not too? (Ottos are doing a great job at keeping algae down at the minute)
3. Two of the ottos are staying close together and curing their tails towards each other and shaking their bodies, what does that mean?
4. I have 4 ottos at the moment should I up that number or are they good in that group size? (In a 70 litre with 4 splas tetra)
5.Is there anything special I need to know about the otto affinis?

Thanks Tom

Never use any chemical product intended to kill algae. All substances added to the tank water will get inside the fish naturally, and some of these can be very dangerous. And algae inhibitors often damage higher plants.

Four otos is fine in a 70 litre. You may need to provide them with special food, namely sinking disks with an algae or spirulina base, intended for vegetarian substrate fish. Omega One's Veggie Rounds is one I use for this. Otos will learn to eat this when they are hungry; they will first browse surfaces for natural algae.

The interactive behaviours described may indicate spawning; I've never observed this with my otos, but I wouldn't worry.

Byron.

In my 10 liter I have a 50 watt heater which keeps the temperature between 25 and 26.5 degrees, is that temperature range OK or should I downgrade to a 25 watt heater instead?

A 50 Watt heater has enough power to heat a 30 gallon to about 30C and probably a lot more. Your 50 watt heater has a thermostat adjust it slowly until your water is at the desired temperature. For a 10 liter (2.6 gallon) tank a 10 watt heater should be enough although most small heaters don't have adjustable thermostats. Are you sure you have a 10 liter (2.5 gallon) tank? Generally that considered too small for most fish.

If you get a new heater what would you expect it to improve. Other than spending money it would not likely change you power bill or improve the health of your fish.

Thanks Byron although the product prevents algae growth it doesn't kill Algae and is apparently safe to use with corals and invertebrates.

Steven F: yes I'm sure it 10 litres as I wanted it for shrimp and possibly snails. I believe that the more powerful heater doesn't work as effectively in this smaller tank as it lets the temperature get cold before kicking in and then heating the water to much before turning off. However a smaller heater would be better suited to the small tank as it would come on quicker when the temperature starts to drop and click off easier when it's reached the desired temperature. At the minute the 50 watt heater is set to 22 degrees and is heating the tank to 25 - 26.5 degrees so I believe it's too powerful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back