Questions on sunrise / sunset aquarium lights

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TNG

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Could you tell me what happens to the timer when thereā€™s a power outage?
If itā€™s set to start at 6am and the power is out for 12 hours, will the light now start at 6pm when the power is back on?
Or does it remain on 24hrs a day until reset?

If it depends on the model, Iā€™m interested to hear how your model works.

Could you tell me what happens to the timer when thereā€™s a power outage?
If itā€™s set to start at 6am and the power is out for 12 hours, will the light now start at 6pm when the power is back on?
Or does it remain on 24hrs a day until reset?

If it depends on the model, Iā€™m interested to hear how your model works.
When the power goes off, the clock on my timer stops. if the power is restored one hour later, lights out will occur one hour later and unless I reset clock on the timer to the correct time.

My Nicrew contollers retain the programme but the time resets to 00:00 when the power comes back on. The basic hygger loses everything. I guess those that are controlled via apps over wifi would just pick up where they left off.

Unplugging my fluval aquasky retains all the settings, timers and timings keep running, so after the power comes back on i dont have to do anything to correct it. The only time i need to reset the timers is when we go from GMT to BST or vice versa and all i have to do is connect the light fixture to the app and it updates the fixture to the new time.

Correction. Just tested my aquasky and it resets the clock to 00.00 when the power comes back on, but all other timing settings are retained. Connecting the fixture to the app resets the clock back to local time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input.
If it retains the programme settings and only loses the timer then Iā€™m happy with it, as in a dark room the fish and plants still get the same amount of light. If it either stayed completely off, or fully on, 24 hrs a day after losing power then itā€™d be a problem when Iā€™m away on holiday for weeks.

One of my tanks doesnt have a programmable light so i have it on a socket timer. The socket timer has a battery backup and will retain all the time setting etc for a few days if there is no power. Maybe even longer, the LCD display was working when i bought it and im sure it will have been a considerable time since the timer battery was last charged.

If its a particular concern just set the light to being on 24 hours a day and have a good socket timer to control the on/off times. Unless your power outage is longer than the battery lasts your light should come on/off as set. If your power is off that long you would have bigger problems than the light settings.

• Brilliant
Reactions: TNG
One of my tanks doesnt have a programmable light so i have it on a socket timer. The socket timer has a battery backup and will retain all the time setting etc for a few days if there is no power. Maybe even longer, the LCD display was working when i bought it and im sure it will have been a considerable time since the timer battery was last charged.

If its a particular concern just set the light to being on 24 hours a day and have a good socket timer to control the on/off times. Unless your power outage is longer than the battery lasts your light should come on/off as set. If your power is off that long you would have bigger problems than the light settings.
If you go that route consider a smart plug connected to your wifi. It will just pick up the time and carry on once it is able to re-connect (which is pretty much what the smart light controllers do). Down side of that is your only options are on and off - so ne sunset / sunrise

My aquasky simply stays turned off when there is a power outage. Once I open the ap on my phone and reconnect, it resets to the correct time and goes on as if nothing happens.

Manual timers run on electricity, and just pick up where they left off. Reset them to the correct time, and they're good.

My timer is the rotation of the earth. I have exactly one artificial light on only one of my aquariums. This time of year is great. The sun is starting to rise further north and comes directly into my fishroom window shining right on two tanks for about an hour. The fish in there love it and the natural sunlight brings out great colors on them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back