Question On Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, And Bamboo Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

trojannemo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey guys.

1) after the losses due to the fish, my red cherry shrimp seemed to be doing fine. they even bred and there were babies. i put in about 20 red cherries and 20 ghost at about the same time. both of them were chased by the fish until they learned to hide in the wood and plants and stuff. some months later i still have at least 15 fully adult ghosts plus smaller ones (babies?), but no red cherry in sight.
i saw a picture of a ghost shrimp eating a red cherry on a forum post somewhere. could they have been the ones that eliminated my red cherries altogether?

2) based on the above, if i wanted to add more red cherries, should i completely remove all the ghost shrimp then? or can i overpower the ghost shrimp population with a certain amount of red cherries?

3) i'm interested in getting bamboo shrimp. can i get just 2? if so, can i get a male and a female? or would this cause too much (if any?) aggression? should i get 3 or a different number to avoid aggression?

4) is it ok to mix bamboo shrimp with ghost shrimp and/or red cherry shrimp?

thanks for the help :good:

1&2) Ghost shrimp is a generic name it covers a lot of species some being machrorachium which will attack smaller shrimp and fish if given the oppurtunity. We need a picture to identify so that we can answer with whether its safe or not.

3) Bamboo shrimp need large tanks as they are filter feeders you need an initial 40+ gallons with an additional 20 gallons per extra bamboo shrimp otherwise there will not be sufficient micro-organism for them to catch suspended in the water.

4) Bamboo shrimp can't hurt a fly due to their claws having evolved into fans, cherry shrimp claws are too small to harm anything as previously said ghost shrimp is a generic name they could be anything from 1 inch shrimp that can't be harmful to 6 inch with visible claws and a very aggressive attitude.

ghost shrimp will only attack if their food is stolen, BUT this is very unlikely. Also, the picture you saw of the ghost shrimp eating a cherry is probably because the cherry was dead already. Ghost shrimp are scavengers therefore they will most likely eat anything thats on the ground and not moving.

one more thing, if you have fish with shrimp. It is expected that the shrimp WILL hide under whatever they can to take cover.

1&2) Ghost shrimp is a generic name it covers a lot of species some being machrorachium which will attack smaller shrimp and fish if given the oppurtunity. We need a picture to identify so that we can answer with whether its safe or not.

3) Bamboo shrimp need large tanks as they are filter feeders you need an initial 40+ gallons with an additional 20 gallons per extra bamboo shrimp otherwise there will not be sufficient micro-organism for them to catch suspended in the water.

4) Bamboo shrimp can't hurt a fly due to their claws having evolved into fans, cherry shrimp claws are too small to harm anything as previously said ghost shrimp is a generic name they could be anything from 1 inch shrimp that can't be harmful to 6 inch with visible claws and a very aggressive attitude.

difficult to tell which one i get. but i'm sure it's the cheapest of the varieties. my local pet supermarket sells them at 10+ for $1....this is the best picture i've been able to get in all my time having them in my tank. i get new batches whenever it looks like i have no more shrimp left. i dont know if everytime i go i'm getting the same kind. but here is the picture anways:
casper3.jpg

based on your above reply, you dont think i can even keep two in a 38 US gallon tank then? that sucks :sad:

one more thing, if you have fish with shrimp. It is expected that the shrimp WILL hide under whatever they can to take cover.

i know and i understand that. especially since rainbowfish like eating red cherries so much. i dont mind them living in the spaces under plants and stuff. i just want them to survive like the ghost shrimp are -_-

To me they look like Palaemonetes which are fine with other species. I should think you can keep one bamboo shrimp providing you have a raised area such as some bogwood in the current from the filter or powerhead and as long as your not using UV filtration. You have to watch out for them trying to pick up food from the floor with their claws this is a sign that they are hungry and will damage their filter fans you can then feed them a little extra by using a pippette to squirt food infront of them when filtering.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back