question about new fish at the lfs

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I called the lfs today because I want some more pristella tetras, but they don't stock them. They told me last week they could order them for me. So I call and ask how long after they get them in do they sell them and they said they put them directly into the tanks and sell them right away. Is this normal? I always thought they would hold them for a few days anyway, to make sure of any overly stressed or diseased fishes.

Most of the time they are aclimatised at the wholesalers but they should really quarantine new stock.

Id buy them with caution, inspect them really well

Sadly most Ifs dont really care about the state of the fish. Just sell-sell-sell! this is why its adviseable to quarantine any new fish you but and to really inspect them before you buy.

not all my lfs does put new stock in sepearte tanks and sick ones for example ich in tanks labeled not for sale :D

The owner of the fish store I do bussiness with, actually tells me that fish just came in and to give them a couple days or so before making a purchase. Its not a pet store, its fish only. Great store!!!

I might just order them and ask them to call me when they come in, and then I'll wait 4-5 days or more before I finally make it to pick them up. I want some ghost shrimp too and I don't think they have those either.

The owner of the fish store I do bussiness with, actually tells me that fish just came in and to give them a couple days or so before making a purchase. Its not a pet store, its fish only. Great store!!!

im still waiting for the guy at my LFS to finish treatment and "OK" the neon blue dwarf gourami i want to buy.
any good fish only shop shold do this.........
they like the fact that i spend along time watching the fish i want to purchas and they also care about there stock alot more than the chainstores/ "pet " shops around town. the people at my local petsmart seem more like car salesmen then fish dealrs.....

Mostly small specialized fish stores care much more for their fish than chain stores. I only buy my fish from my local lfs - we know each other well - and I know that the fish he sells are quarantined before he sells them.

Most reactions

Back