Question about coloured gravel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DJ Fresh

Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently running a test to see if this is the case (I'm seperating the coloured gravel so that I can test the PH), but I was wondering if anyone else has had this or heard if coloured gravel will raise the PH? One LFS told me that it could be the reason that I've seen a rise in my PH, even though my tank is fully cycled and my Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0. Can plants tamper with this through photosynthesis? Is there an easy solution?

Anyone like to help? :huh:

B) DJ Fresh

if its colored gravle like the kind you buy in bags at the LFS it should tell you if it will raise the pH but chances are it isnt the cause, you can test it by pulling out some gravle and pouring vinegar over it, if it fizzes its the cause, I'm not sure why your pH has gone up but I would be willing to bet cash money that its not colored gravel

Thanks for your quick reply... I'll try vinegar too.. and get back to ya. I think the LFS I went to wasn't as knowledgable as their lengthy talks. He seemed to drone on and on about a whole bunch of stuff, I think trying to sell himself as a salesperson more than a fish store guy! :rofl:

I'll see if I get any more replies on this...

B) DJ Fresh

PS - My tap water here in Victoria is at 7.0, so something is happening in my tank.

It shouldn't be the coloured gravel, heaps of my mates have coloured gravel and it doesnt do a thing

Have you checked the KH (sometimes called alkanity) of your water? This measures how stable your pH will be once it is in your tank. If you have a lower KH, then your pH would be more likely to change, one way or the other.

My water comes out of the tap at 9.0 ++, but in my tank, it is around 7.6 because I have a low KH. That could possibly be what is going on. You can try this. Measure the pH right out of your tap, then leave a cup of dechlorinated water sit out for 24-48 hours, then re-test the pH.

tttnjfttt said:
Have you checked the KH (sometimes called alkanity) of your water? This measures how stable your pH will be once it is in your tank. If you have a lower KH, then your pH would be more likely to change, one way or the other.

My water comes out of the tap at 9.0 ++, but in my tank, it is around 7.6 because I have a low KH. That could possibly be what is going on. You can try this. Measure the pH right out of your tap, then leave a cup of dechlorinated water sit out for 24-48 hours, then re-test the pH.
My KH is at 30mg/L, both out of the tap and in the tank.

I'll try testing the PH after sitting the water (from the tap) out for 24-48 hours.
What's weird about all this, is that my PH used to be at 7.0, but I changed tanks in the meantime too and upgraded to a 40gallon.

Anyways,
Thanks for your helpful advice.

B) DJ Fresh

Here's an update on my research on coloured gravel...

I tested the tap water yesterday = PH - 7.0
The coloured gravel produced a 7.2 (after sitting, separated for 24hrs)
The cup with no gravel in it produced a 7.2 as well.

Out of curiousity, I took another test of the tap water from today, and I got 6.8!!??!! :dunno:

Guess it's all dependant on the water company to what PH my fish tank will be. (within reason of course, but I'm not going to tamper too much with something that doesn't seem to be harming the fish).

Anyways. Hope you all enjoyed this.

B) DJ Fresh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back