Quarantining Kuhli Loaches (and other loach stuff)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
This might be an odd question, but thought it might be worth discussing. That, and @WhistlingBadger suggested I make a thread on it.

So, onto the question. Planning on getting in some more kuhli loaches when my quarantine tank is cycled - maybe another three or six? - but I'm wondering how I could quarantine them without them burrowing into the substrate? The substrate is a large, pebbly kind of gravel that wouldn't be necessarily impossible to sift through but it'd definitely be a little troublesome. Maybe I could put a tupperware container lid over the gravel so they wouldn't burrow?

And here's the "other loach stuff" part of the thread: a couple of photos of my current kuhlis. I've got three right now and they're pretty happy where they are but I'm hoping that getting some more would bring their confidence up. How many do you think I should get? Six, nine, or more?

jar of kuhlis.jpg
kuhlove.jpg

ok so i would say to buy 5 so that you have 8, that is the least amount of fish i recommend when talking bottom dwellers.
now, in case you can just buy a 5 gallon plastic tub and use that, since ya know it has no substrate, if you cant do that then use kulhi mentality to your advantage. the more hideouts the have and the more there is they will hide/burrow less, so if you add more decor for them to hide and buy more than 3 then in theory they would not hide nor burrow since they would feel safe enough

ok so i would say to buy 5 so that you have 8, that is the least amount of fish i recommend when talking bottom dwellers.
now, in case you can just buy a 5 gallon plastic tub and use that, since ya know it has no substrate, if you cant do that then use kulhi mentality to your advantage. the more hideouts the have and the more there is they will hide/burrow less, so if you add more decor for them to hide and buy more than 3 then in theory they would not hide nor burrow since they would feel safe enough
I was thinking about using a plastic tub at first, but now I have my little 3 gallon tank and I think it's close to finishing its cycle! Maybe I should just take the substrate out of the tank in advance?

I was thinking about using a plastic tub at first, but now I have my little 3 gallon tank and I think it's close to finishing its cycle! Maybe I should just take the substrate out of the tank in advance?
Maybe, i mean if you dont mind getting all the substrate out then do it, just use lots of floating plants, the loaches love them

If you can get them (i can't :( ) get some indian almond leaves, as they sink to the bottom they add tanins and refuge
I had very little to no sand on the bottom of the quarantine tote, but lots of things they could hide under. Leaves, wood, and old filter plate. Then you can just lift them and there is no sand mess to deal with.

Last edited:
Let them burrow if they want to, they will settle in faster. Fish that "expect" this or that in their environment will always be less likely of having trouble adjusting to a new environment if they have what they expect. Provided the gravel is not rough, they can do no harm burrowing. Not what you will have in the display tank obviously, but in QT can work. [As I was posting, other members have come along with some good suggestions as well.]

As for numbers, I agree that most all shoaling fish species will be better the more there are of the species. No mention is made of the tank size, but a group of 8-9 is fine. It can make them bolder to have more, though they may take a while to establish their hierarchy.

Let them burrow if they want to, they will settle in faster. Fish that "expect" this or that in their environment will always be less likely of having trouble adjusting to a new environment if they have what they expect. Provided the gravel is not rough, they can do no harm burrowing. Not what you will have in the display tank obviously, but in QT can work.

As for numbers, I agree that most all shoaling fish species will be better the more there are of the species. No mention is made of the tank size, but a group of 8-9 is fine. It can make them bolder to have more, though they may take a while to establish their hierarchy.
Getting them back out once the quarantine is over will be a pain, but I suppose it might just be a necessary sacrifice.

And the tank is 170L. The journal for it (with photos) is here and in my signature. Current stock is pretty heavy, but hoping to get the loaches after I get to rehome my gourami and black neons.

I will just mention that I approach the quarantine tank concept a bit differently than many (perhaps most) aquarists might. I keep a small tank permanently running, with a fairly shallow sand substrate (I have a lot of cories and this really made a difference in settling new fish) and a couple chunks of bogwood for shelter. And it is planted, especially with floating plants--the surface is thick with Water Sprite. This not only means you never have cycling issues (thanks to the plants), but the tank quickly becomes "established" so new fish acquisitions are immediately in an environment that is exactly what they need. And all fish will settle in faster when this can be provided.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back