Quarantine Tank

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Oops...I meant to post this in the Tropical Discussion section...oh well... :blush:

Maybe I will get lucky and a Mod will move it to Tropical Discussion...hint...hint... :lol:

I am going to be turning my 10 gallon tank into a quarantine tank with live plants and such.

What would be some good fish to add to the tank to maintain the bio filter/plants and what not?

Would Neon tetras be any good?

And how many?

Thanks
-FHM
 
A quar tank doesn't have to be run constantly. You can run the filter on another tank to keep it cycled, and leave the quar tank empty.

A running tank will eventually become a fully stocked tank. When you need it for quar you won't have room. It has happened to most everyone.

BTW, topic moved. :)
 
A quar tank doesn't have to be run constantly. You can run the filter on another tank to keep it cycled, and leave the quar tank empty.

A running tank will eventually become a fully stocked tank. When you need it for quar you won't have room. It has happened to most everyone.

BTW, topic moved. :)
Thanks for moving the topic!

So just keep plants in the quartile tank, and when I need to put a fish in there just put a filter with some mature filter media on the tank?

(I have 2 extra filter laying around...1aquaclear, and 1 whisper)

Thanks again for the reply and moving the thread over!
-FHM
 
A quar tank doesn't have to be run constantly. You can run the filter on another tank to keep it cycled, and leave the quar tank empty.

A running tank will eventually become a fully stocked tank. When you need it for quar you won't have room. It has happened to most everyone.

BTW, topic moved. :)
Thanks for moving the topic!

So just keep plants in the quartile tank, and when I need to put a fish in there just put a filter with some mature filter media on the tank?

(I have 2 extra filter laying around...1aquaclear, and 1 whisper)

Thanks again for the reply and moving the thread over!
-FHM

Yeah, you can do that if you want. Thats what I did, strange things happen when you let a tank just sit w/ everything running and no fish. Once I got a large colony of seed shrimp, then I added fish and they all got eaten :sad:. They where interesting to watch. I agree with Tolak though a running tank eventually gets stocked. My quarintine tank was kept running, now its got 50+ endler fry in it :lol:. I need a new one!
 
A quar tank doesn't have to be run constantly. You can run the filter on another tank to keep it cycled, and leave the quar tank empty.

A running tank will eventually become a fully stocked tank. When you need it for quar you won't have room. It has happened to most everyone.

BTW, topic moved. :)
Thanks for moving the topic!

So just keep plants in the quartile tank, and when I need to put a fish in there just put a filter with some mature filter media on the tank?

(I have 2 extra filter laying around...1aquaclear, and 1 whisper)

Thanks again for the reply and moving the thread over!
-FHM

Yeah, you can do that if you want. Thats what I did, strange things happen when you let a tank just sit w/ everything running and no fish. Once I got a large colony of seed shrimp, then I added fish and they all got eaten :sad:. They where interesting to watch. I agree with Tolak though a running tank eventually gets stocked. My quarintine tank was kept running, now its got 50+ endler fry in it :lol:. I need a new one!
Okay, thanks for all the replies.

So I will get some plants and what not, and then add fish/filter when needed.

Thanks again.

Anyone else who has experience/advice with a quarantine tank is more than welcome to give me more advice!

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top