Q About Tiger Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vancouver

- l l a m a s -
Reaction score
I've never kept tiger barbs, so I have a few questions.

The tank is 55g... current inhabitants include about 5 silver dollars (all but one are blind in at least 1 eye, couple are totally blind)... a ctenepoma, and a rainbow cichlid.

If I decide they are ok together, I'm going to get large ones.. I saw a bunch at the lfs today that were about 2'' long.. Pretty thick, and pretty healthy looking.

I'm curious if they are able to defend themselves at all? Just in case my ctenepoma/rainbow decide they want to eat them. They definitely cant fit into the cichlids mouths.. The cichlids are about 5-6''.

I saw 3 of them fighting with each other at the store.. Is this something to worry about? I'll probably start with 4 of them, and if they do alright move the number up to 8.

Does this sound wise?

Tigers are famous fin nippers, if your going to have some most people would recommend the magic number of 6 in a group :) Seems to keep them out of trouble!

6 is the magic number (the more you add the less aggression) for sure when I had just 3 they terrorised each other but they are quite happy now in a group of 6.

some times the different colours ie (green, normal & albino) will school together other times they will snob each other and only school among their own colour so if you put them all in together at once you have a better chance of them schooling together :)

Here are my dear little Barbs:

project7.jpg

All the stripy tigers are boys and the little green one Audrey is a girl it is so funny coz she leads the pack yes the smallest fish leads the pack :lol: it is like she has 5 big brothers and they all look after her it is so cute.

It would probably help with aggression issues if you get a more even mix of boys and girls :)

Males: slimmer bodies, bright read noses, brighter colours
Females: duller colours, round bellys (fatter)

I'll definitely try to get a mix of males and females.. The green ones I saw were the nicest looking.. The albinos weren't bad, and the regulars were average looking at best..

Might get 3 greens and 3 albinos.. Maybe chuck a couple gold barbs in there as well just for fun.

Thanks for the info :good:

Kind of an old topic.. but still fresh on my mind!..

The lfs has ''platinum tiger barbs'' for $7 each..

Really shiny silver/green coloring.. I'm going to get some when they have their boxing day sale.. everything is at least 25% off then.

Kind of an old topic.. but still fresh on my mind!..

The lfs has ''platinum tiger barbs'' for $7 each..

Really shiny silver/green coloring.. I'm going to get some when they have their boxing day sale.. everything is at least 25% off then.

I've never seen more than one color variation of the green tiger barb before. You should post some pics if you get the chance

:good:

BobRoss

I'm considering buying a couple smaller ones that are cheaper to see how they do in the tank before boxing day..

Probably the smart thing to do

with my old tank i had 6 tiger barbs 5 of them died when they were real young one grew and was in with my rainbows and he dident bother anybody so when i switched tanks i got 6 more so i have 7 total now and they just worry about chasing each other

I think I might want to keep them in my 40g square tank..

Is a square tank.. Around 2'x2' alright for tiger barbs?

Obviously longer would be better, but then again the depth may make up for it in surface area.

I thought of another plan.. Moving the mean cichlids from a 55g to a diff 55g

So I could keep the tiger barbs, silver dollars, and my 1 festivum in a 55g.

I think that will probably work well.. Silver dollars don't bother anything really, and festivum is pretty calm. The square tank does look a little small for tiger barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back