Python To Fill Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sarkis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
when filling the tank with the python hose after sucking it out. how do you guys add the water conditioner to it. Just dump some in the tank before you start to add water??

when filling the tank with the python hose after sucking it out. how do you guys add the water conditioner to it. Just dump some in the tank before you start to add water??

With the filter off, add your water conditioner to treat the full volume ie: A tank that holds 50 gallons needs 50 gallons worth of water condtioner.

I add a little as soon as I start the water running and then a little more after it is full. No longer than it takes to fill the tank, I don't think it really matters if you just wait until you finish filling it. The effects of chlorine aren't immediate so 5 to 10 minutes isn't a big deal. I think I read in the Python literature something about it infussing (sp) thousands (or millions) of tiny air bubbles to kill the chlorine but I may have dreamed that. And when I said I added a little before and a little after, I just squirt it in. I don't measure as that's too much trouble considering the cost and the fact that you can't overdose.

Some people add it all beforehand, some add it in phases - half at the start, half at the end or partway through, etc, and I've heard at least a few people add it afterwards. Pretty good bit of flexibility. A mature tank can stand a bit of chlorine - it's not toxic enough to nuke your biofilter in one swoop, indeed the same types of bacteria that live in tanks have regularly been found in chlorinated water systems.

Most reactions

trending

Back