Python broke.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Doing water changes and the plastic piece just broke on the shutoff valve.
image.jpg

Replacement is 10 bucks. That’s what’s great about pythons. Everything is replaceable.

Python valve is flimsy.
I replaced mine years ago with a nice brass shutoff valve. Bought it on Amazon.

I really wish I could find a faucet and/or adapter that would work with a python in my house...
No faucets with screw-on/off aerators?

The Python is my favorite & most essential piece of fishkeeping equipment...wouldn't do a WC without one

I used to do all my water changes (on 10 tanks) by hand with a bucket and hand siphon, I almost had to give up fishkeeping due to the toll it took on my joints, until I got an off brand python water changer. Definitely a lifesaver

I used to do all my water changes (on 10 tanks) by hand with a bucket and hand siphon, I almost had to give up fishkeeping due to the toll it took on my joints, until I got an off brand python water changer. Definitely a lifesaver
10(!) tanks, by hand, weekly??

Gadzooks, I can't even imagine....my joints are hurting thinking about it

Which one did you buy please?

My python stop valve also died, the issue in my case was a small amount of sand getting trapped in the plastic ball valve component. I replaced it with a brass valve as others have done and it worked well till once cleaning one of my smaller tanks the metal valve assembly lightly tapped the side of a 20 gallon tank and the aquarium glass cracked. I now do not use the valve because I have found I don't need it.

My python stop valve also died, the issue in my case was a small amount of sand getting trapped in the plastic ball valve component. I replaced it with a brass valve as others have done and it worked well till once cleaning one of my smaller tanks the metal valve assembly lightly tapped the side of a 20 gallon tank and the aquarium glass cracked. I now do not use the valve because I have found I don't need it.
That's what I ended up doing. No need for the valve, as most of my tanks are right next to each other.

I do not use a python for water changes nor vacuuming. However, I have several lengths of Python hoses, one of the ball valves and all of their faucet adapters. At CatCon I ran into a faucet that was actually impossible to adapt. I had to run to a local supermarket ro buy 22 gals. of distilled water to mix with the hotel's tap.

I do have a number of pumps and lengths of drinking water caliber hoses. I have one utility sink set up with a garden hose output. All of my hoses works using them. However, I do not want metal hose ends, Who knows what they might leach when sitting in a can of changing water or submerged in a tank doing water changes. So I cut of those metal ends and replace them with plastic connectors. I also get plastic ball valves by the half dozen as well as Y splitters. I have hose spicling kits and adapters as well.

I refill all tanks using the drinking water hoses and I empty using the Python hoses on my bigger tanks. Both with pumps. In some cases when it isn't freezing outside, I can pump out of windows other wise it is into the toilet. I have over 100 ft. of hoses so when I do events in the verndo room I can often get access to a sink :)

I thought about getting a python but it irked me that I had to waste water to empty my tank. I ended up getting 2 long hoses and "borrowing" my dad's ancient ehiem filter inlet/outlet thingys. One hose has a hand pump connected to it and siphons straight out the window onto the grass. The second is attached to a cheapo pond pump that sits at the bottom of a bucket in the kitchen sink. I run the tap at the right temperature into the bucket while the pump sends the water back to my tank...no drama 😎 always fun judging when to run back to the kitchen like a loonytune to switch off the pump before the living room floods though! 🤪

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back