Pregnant Mickey Mouse Platy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Holyship26

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Iā€™m seeking confirmation on whether this platy is pregnant and if so an approximate timeframe for when sheā€™ll drop the fry.
Here are some photos
Thanks!

Attachments

• 77E475ED-BB93-4EBD-8652-2A6414180AA2.jpeg
    77E475ED-BB93-4EBD-8652-2A6414180AA2.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 56
  • B54E4735-E711-4E21-AD81-39E8033F68ED.jpeg
    B54E4735-E711-4E21-AD81-39E8033F68ED.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 541FB370-1AF6-43A9-A462-8A343D719043.jpeg
    541FB370-1AF6-43A9-A462-8A343D719043.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 60
  • E1A90881-B759-4818-B653-03803602F59F.jpeg
    E1A90881-B759-4818-B653-03803602F59F.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 33268F49-81D3-4C39-A025-2542C3CB3097.jpeg
    33268F49-81D3-4C39-A025-2542C3CB3097.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 54
For the white one, I would probably say pregnant, but I can't be sure. Livebearers will have a "gravid spot" that looks like this. If you can see this, it's probably more likely that she's pregnant, especially if you're not overfeeding her and if she doesn't seem ill.
Let us know if you get any updates on her.

I canā€™t see a gravid spot but I can see dots like eggs in her stomach from the back where itā€™s almost transparent.

Sheā€™s definitely not ill and I only feed them once a day so I donā€™t think itā€™s a case of overfeeding.

Agreed that the white one is pretty heavily gravid. It's really hard to guess when they might drop the fry, even when you're experienced with livebearers, they can look different depending on the fish, whether it's her first drop, things like that. My best guestimate would be within 1-2 weeks, but it could be sooner than that even.

Looks like you might have several males in there chasing her? How many males do you have and how many females? If she's being chased non-stop, that could stress her out, and stress isn't good for any creature that is pregnant or birthing.

What are your plans for her birthing? If you were thinking of a breeder box, I'd urge you to reconsider, they can cause a lot of stress, especially if the female is confined for a long time. The female and fry can also be damaged by being netted, so it's often better to let her birth in the tank she's in. If you want to save as many fry as possible, can move the males/other adults to another tank, or add a lot of plant matter to provide hiding places for the fry, and for the female to birth in. Then most of the stronger/faster fry are likely to make it, and weaker ones get eaten.

If you have another tank you'd planned for the female or fry, can teach you a method for moving the female while gravid that greatly reduces the chances of hurting her or the fry. Just ensure that the new tank is fully cycled, and has plenty of cover and hiding spots to reduce stress.

If you have another tank you'd planned for the female or fry, can teach you a method for moving the female while gravid that greatly reduces the chances of hurting her or the fry. Just ensure that the new tank is fully cycled, and has plenty of cover and hiding spots to reduce stress.
Thank you. Really appreciate the detailed response.
I was actually strongly considering the breeder net. I do have a spare tank but itā€™s not cycled and worried sheā€™ll likely drop the fry before I can get it fully cycled. If I just let nature take course and she drops the fry in the current community tank, is there actually a chance any of them will survive with 8-10 other fish in the tank? My tank is quite heavily planted already but Iā€™m not sure how much itā€™ll help with their hiding

Thank you. Really appreciate the detailed response.
I was actually strongly considering the breeder net. I do have a spare tank but itā€™s not cycled and worried sheā€™ll likely drop the fry before I can get it fully cycled. If I just let nature take course and she drops the fry in the current community tank, is there actually a chance any of them will survive with 8-10 other fish in the tank? My tank is quite heavily planted already but Iā€™m not sure how much itā€™ll help with their hiding

It might be possible to get the other tank ready for her, if you'd prefer to have her in the other tank, and you have equipment for that tank? What kind of filter do you have on the main tank? Because you can often pinch a bit of filter media or squeeze out an established sponge filter from an established tank, to jump start a cycle on a new tank. Most of us with multiple tanks use that method to start a new tank, rather than go through the whole cycling process from scratch! Can also be handy to know how to do this if you need to whip up a quarantine or emergency tank urgently. Your current filter will have both types of bacteria needed to process ammonia and nitrites, so pinching some media or squeezing out the sponge filter when it's good and mucky means the new tank has the bacteria needed for a cycle. Then it's a case of growing the colony to handle the bioload in the new tank, and getting it nicely established. So it's not an instant cycle -doesn't make the tank fully established - so you need to test it often and water change as needed, but means you can get it cycled in a matter of days or a couple of weeks, rather than eight weeks plus when you start a cycle from scratch.

There's definitely a good chance fry will survive if she has them in the main tank! If the tank is kept well fed, fish are lazy and less inclined to hunt down fry, especially if the fry can dart under some thick cover. Some dense planting at the surface gives them the best chance, since the fry instinctively head to the surface. A big bunch of elodea, hornwort, water wysteria, guppy grass or similar gives some dense cover, and is easier for fry to navigate than a big adult fish.

Ignore how ugly this tank is, I inherited it, i didn't design it!
DSCF1661.JPG

Even in this big tank with a LOT of fish in it, including those huge 4 inch mollies, a gourami and some zebra danios, bunches of fry survive, more than I can handle really.

Personally I favour letting nature take its course, since the ones that get eaten are likely to be the weakest and slowest, so it saves me having to cull them and make horrible decisions about what to do with weak/deformed fry, and I get more survivors than I really need. Means I have to move a lot more to grow out tanks and visit the local fish store more often to give him loads of young fish!

But, if you want to save as many as possible, a breeder net or moving to another tank is fine! You can monitor the tank for when the fry are born, then catch them and move them to the breeder net, or move the female when you see signs of labour. To move a gravid female, catch her in a fishnet, but don't lift her out Use a cup or jug, scoop that underneath the net, then lift her out by holding the net inside the cup/jug. Does that make sense? So she's being moved inside the jug of water, and not being lifted out of water. Reduces the chances of hurting her or the developing fry.

I've never used a loose breeder net for a female myself, does yours have a frame, like this?
DSCF3351 (1).JPG

If so, you could pop the female in there when you see some signs of labour. Otherwise, I'd check the tank first thing in the morning and last thing at night for fry, before turning the tank lights on, then net out the babies and put them in the breeder net.

I get plenty of fry that survive in this tank too, I don't use nets or boxes anymore unless something seems wrong. Livebearers produce so many fry, each month you get another batch! So all of us who keep livebearers fuss and worry a lot over the first few batches, wanting to save each fry possible, but you soon get a bit more chill about it, since you know there will be more batches coming each month!

Right now, the tank above has four different batches of fry growing up in there. One of the girls had her first batch, only six or so, then a batch of about ten, and the latest batch is A LOT. I can't possibly count them among all that plant, but based on previous batches and how many I see whenever I work on the tank, it's at least 40, and they swim openly in front of the adults, completely ignored by the adults!

Female livebearers store sperm, so even if you don't have any males around, she can continue popping out fry for months, using the stored sperm. Surprises a lot of people when they buy only female livebearers, and fry appear, but they didn't expect it since they didn't have any males! Often females have already been round males before they even arrive at the store, or a male has jumped tanks in the store. :)

Than
It might be possible to get the other tank ready for her, if you'd prefer to have her in the other tank, and you have equipment for that tank? What kind of filter do you have on the main tank? Because you can often pinch a bit of filter media or squeeze out an established sponge filter from an established tank, to jump start a cycle on a new tank. Most of us with multiple tanks use that method to start a new tank, rather than go through the whole cycling process from scratch! Can also be handy to know how to do this if you need to whip up a quarantine or emergency tank urgently. Your current filter will have both types of bacteria needed to process ammonia and nitrites, so pinching some media or squeezing out the sponge filter when it's good and mucky means the new tank has the bacteria needed for a cycle. Then it's a case of growing the colony to handle the bioload in the new tank, and getting it nicely established. So it's not an instant cycle -doesn't make the tank fully established - so you need to test it often and water change as needed, but means you can get it cycled in a matter of days or a couple of weeks, rather than eight weeks plus when you start a cycle from scratch.

There's definitely a good chance fry will survive if she has them in the main tank! If the tank is kept well fed, fish are lazy and less inclined to hunt down fry, especially if the fry can dart under some thick cover. Some dense planting at the surface gives them the best chance, since the fry instinctively head to the surface. A big bunch of elodea, hornwort, water wysteria, guppy grass or similar gives some dense cover, and is easier for fry to navigate than a big adult fish.

Ignore how ugly this tank is, I inherited it, i didn't design it!
View attachment 130265

Even in this big tank with a LOT of fish in it, including those huge 4 inch mollies, a gourami and some zebra danios, bunches of fry survive, more than I can handle really.

Personally I favour letting nature take its course, since the ones that get eaten are likely to be the weakest and slowest, so it saves me having to cull them and make horrible decisions about what to do with weak/deformed fry, and I get more survivors than I really need. Means I have to move a lot more to grow out tanks and visit the local fish store more often to give him loads of young fish!

But, if you want to save as many as possible, a breeder net or moving to another tank is fine! You can monitor the tank for when the fry are born, then catch them and move them to the breeder net, or move the female when you see signs of labour. To move a gravid female, catch her in a fishnet, but don't lift her out Use a cup or jug, scoop that underneath the net, then lift her out by holding the net inside the cup/jug. Does that make sense? So she's being moved inside the jug of water, and not being lifted out of water. Reduces the chances of hurting her or the developing fry.

I've never used a loose breeder net for a female myself, does yours have a frame, like this?
View attachment 130266

If so, you could pop the female in there when you see some signs of labour. Otherwise, I'd check the tank first thing in the morning and last thing at night for fry, before turning the tank lights on, then net out the babies and put them in the breeder net.

I get plenty of fry that survive in this tank too, I don't use nets or boxes anymore unless something seems wrong. Livebearers produce so many fry, each month you get another batch! So all of us who keep livebearers fuss and worry a lot over the first few batches, wanting to save each fry possible, but you soon get a bit more chill about it, since you know there will be more batches coming each month!

Right now, the tank above has four different batches of fry growing up in there. One of the girls had her first batch, only six or so, then a batch of about ten, and the latest batch is A LOT. I can't possibly count them among all that plant, but based on previous batches and how many I see whenever I work on the tank, it's at least 40, and they swim openly in front of the adults, completely ignored by the adults!

Female livebearers store sperm, so even if you don't have any males around, she can continue popping out fry for months, using the stored sperm. Surprises a lot of people when they buy only female livebearers, and fry appear, but they didn't expect it since they didn't have any males! Often females have already been round males before they even arrive at the store, or a male has jumped tanks in the store. :)
thanks again for all the great advice.
So if I do choose to let her give birth in the current community tank, do you think I've got enough plants in there right now for some of the fry to survive? (see attached photo). They were mostly hiding at the time of the photo but in the tank, I've got Clown Loaches, Red Tailed Shark, Kissing Gourami and different Tetra types in there.

My breeder net is pretty much identical to the one in your photo with the plastic frames.

Attachments

• 1E38DB3B-654C-448A-B96C-471DDC7338FC.jpeg
    1E38DB3B-654C-448A-B96C-471DDC7338FC.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 46
Than

thanks again for all the great advice.
So if I do choose to let her give birth in the current community tank, do you think I've got enough plants in there right now for some of the fry to survive? (see attached photo). They were mostly hiding at the time of the photo but in the tank, I've got Clown Loaches, Red Tailed Shark, Kissing Gourami and different Tetra types in there.

My breeder net is pretty much identical to the one in your photo with the plastic frames.
You should keep them in a separate tank if possible, but a spawning net helps too. Some fish are prone to eating fry and I wouldn't trust a clown loach with little babies!

Most reactions

trending

Back