Hi everyone,
my new planted tank has been there for about a week now (without fish at this point, of course), most of the plants have started growing fantastically, and there isn't a hint of algae yet, but I notice that the temperature rises to 29C (84F) daily, because of the metal halide and halogen lights (there's no direct sunlight on the tank, or indirect for that matter). I wouldn't be worried, if it weren't for two things:
1) Unstable temperature. The temperature drops a couple of degrees every night when the lights are off. I figure this can be a good thing for oxygen balance, but I worry that my future fish won't like the fluctuation.
2) Our apartment gets really hot really fast. On hot summer days I think the tank temperature could easily go up to 30C (86F). This seems excessive for many fish.
It's a 55g open top tank (low pH, soft-ish water, although the values have yet to settle due to the tank being so new), and I plan to install a fan on top, operating on the same timer as the lights, which might balance out the night/day fluctuation. I'm not sure how much it'll help, though, as the air circulation above the tank is already pretty good. In any case, should the fan fail for some reason (e.g. moisture) I'd like to minimize the risks of a disaster, and I figure selecting temperature-tolerant fish and shrimp species in the first place would be a good start.
The fish and critters I want to have (but am not sure if the tank temperature allows it):
- 2 - 3 Bolivian or German Blue Rams, or a male & 2-3 female Apistos
- A school of 10 or so tetras or rasboras that won't jump out of an open top tank. Still need to do some research on the "jumpiness" of various species, but would prefer Nematobrycon palmeri (Emperor tetra), Hyphessobrycon rosaceus or H. pulchripinnis, or tetras with similar looks.
- 1 - 2 Bristlenose pleco
- A bunch of red cherry shrimp
- A generous amount of trumpet snails
Any big no-no's on this list in terms of the temperature? The Rams' recommended temperature range reaches 30C in the literature, but I'm not sure how well they can take the fluctuation in the temp.The biggest question mark I think is the bristlenose, since I believe they like slightly cooler, oxygen-rich water. Maybe I should forget about them and get a pair of pearl gourami (Thrichogaster leeri) instead, since I know from experience that they can tolerate high temperatures and remain seemingly happy (tank heater malfunctioned a few years back and it took me a while to notice this; the gouramis actually became more colorful and active while everyone else in the tank looked a bit ill). Problem is, I really like bristlenoses and would like to have them if I knew they'll be happy. Yet I'm also worried that the bristlenoses might stress my rams/apistos, argh... Any opinions on suitable tetras? How about the red cherry shrimp? I've read that the Amano shrimp is extremely temperature-tolerant, but haven't really been able to find out much about the red cherry.
Still got time to research this, since it's going to be weeks before I start gradually stocking, but any advice/opinions/anecdotes would be appreciated. And sorry about the long post, I tend to ramble.
my new planted tank has been there for about a week now (without fish at this point, of course), most of the plants have started growing fantastically, and there isn't a hint of algae yet, but I notice that the temperature rises to 29C (84F) daily, because of the metal halide and halogen lights (there's no direct sunlight on the tank, or indirect for that matter). I wouldn't be worried, if it weren't for two things:
1) Unstable temperature. The temperature drops a couple of degrees every night when the lights are off. I figure this can be a good thing for oxygen balance, but I worry that my future fish won't like the fluctuation.
2) Our apartment gets really hot really fast. On hot summer days I think the tank temperature could easily go up to 30C (86F). This seems excessive for many fish.
It's a 55g open top tank (low pH, soft-ish water, although the values have yet to settle due to the tank being so new), and I plan to install a fan on top, operating on the same timer as the lights, which might balance out the night/day fluctuation. I'm not sure how much it'll help, though, as the air circulation above the tank is already pretty good. In any case, should the fan fail for some reason (e.g. moisture) I'd like to minimize the risks of a disaster, and I figure selecting temperature-tolerant fish and shrimp species in the first place would be a good start.
The fish and critters I want to have (but am not sure if the tank temperature allows it):
- 2 - 3 Bolivian or German Blue Rams, or a male & 2-3 female Apistos
- A school of 10 or so tetras or rasboras that won't jump out of an open top tank. Still need to do some research on the "jumpiness" of various species, but would prefer Nematobrycon palmeri (Emperor tetra), Hyphessobrycon rosaceus or H. pulchripinnis, or tetras with similar looks.
- 1 - 2 Bristlenose pleco
- A bunch of red cherry shrimp
- A generous amount of trumpet snails
Any big no-no's on this list in terms of the temperature? The Rams' recommended temperature range reaches 30C in the literature, but I'm not sure how well they can take the fluctuation in the temp.The biggest question mark I think is the bristlenose, since I believe they like slightly cooler, oxygen-rich water. Maybe I should forget about them and get a pair of pearl gourami (Thrichogaster leeri) instead, since I know from experience that they can tolerate high temperatures and remain seemingly happy (tank heater malfunctioned a few years back and it took me a while to notice this; the gouramis actually became more colorful and active while everyone else in the tank looked a bit ill). Problem is, I really like bristlenoses and would like to have them if I knew they'll be happy. Yet I'm also worried that the bristlenoses might stress my rams/apistos, argh... Any opinions on suitable tetras? How about the red cherry shrimp? I've read that the Amano shrimp is extremely temperature-tolerant, but haven't really been able to find out much about the red cherry.
Still got time to research this, since it's going to be weeks before I start gradually stocking, but any advice/opinions/anecdotes would be appreciated. And sorry about the long post, I tend to ramble.









