Potential disaster

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My power went out yesterday at 11AM. Temperature outside is 40F. House temperature has fallen to 55F. I have been running to a friend’s house several miles away to obtain warm water for my 5 tanks. Trying to keep the water temperature above 70F. But filters are off line of course. No way to aerate the water. Power is supposed to be restored in a few hours. Ironically I just signed a contract to install a generator. My timing was off. Wish me luck.

If the power is off by less than 12 hours, I'm not worried about low oxygen in the water, but my tanks are not heavily stocked anyway.

Have you covered the tanks (polystyrene/blankets) to conserve the heat?

I just cover the the tanks as best I can and walk away. It shouldn't drop too fast. There's an initial fall to room temperature, but then a very slow drop after.

What generator did you go with Gwand? I'm also looking into this right now
We are using an electrician who focuses solely on installing generators. He came with multiple great references from friends. He recommended we go with Kohler.

I just bought a basic portable generator second hand, from a fish importer who upgraded. I pick it up at the end of the month.
It'll run the central air and the dehumidifier if I need heat in the room. I'll have the pellet stove and the freezer covered in the house. Basic, but better than nothing. The grid has been very stable here, touch wood (we're in a storm right now).

I may regret not going whole house generator, but we've had really stable power for 2 years. It would be a good investment if I were sure I needed it.

We are using an electrician who focuses solely on installing generators. He came with multiple great references from friends. He recommended we go with Kohler.

I've been looking at various brands and reading as much as I can. I've seen a lot of complaints regarding the generac equipment. It has worked well for twotankamin but even he had an issue where I believe they had to change his motor out (may have been something else). I would hate to pay thousands and have it fail than lose thousands more in fish. I've looked at the Kohlers but I'll look a bit more. A good investment in your peace of mind for situations like what you just went through

I just bought a basic portable generator second hand, from a fish importer who upgraded. I pick it up at the end of the month.
It'll run the central air and the dehumidifier if I need heat in the room. I'll have the pellet stove and the freezer covered in the house. Basic, but better than nothing. The grid has been very stable here, touch wood (we're in a storm right now).

I may regret not going whole house generator, but we've had really stable power for 2 years. It would be a good investment if I were sure I needed it.
My generator will run some lights, fish tanks, heating system, frig and freezers, and water pump for well but no AC, stove top or oven. We get blackouts very frequently. Very wooded area and storms bring down trees and/or large branches.

The friend upgrading his system is in a beautiful wooded setting. It has its drawbacks though, and blackouts are the big one. Here, at the seaside, the trees are few. It makes an enormous difference compared to past homes.
We aren't on a well - if we were, I'd have a system like you're getting.

The friend upgrading his system is in a beautiful wooded setting. It has its drawbacks though, and blackouts are the big one. Here, at the seaside, the trees are few. It makes an enormous difference compared to past homes.
We aren't on a well - if we were, I'd have a system like you're getting.
December 2022 we had a blackout that lasted 5 days. All my fish died. I have been saving for a generator ever since.

Most reactions

Back