Poorly Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My female Dwarf Gourami isn't looking too good. She started behaving odd yesterday eve and is constantly at the surface near the outlet pipe (see picture below). All the other fish are fine, I do have another male in there although he is not bothering her as far as I can see and I'm usually in the room with the tank and have been keeping watch on them since I bought them last Sunday with the view on buying another female if he was harassing her but he hasn't as far as I can see. I checked the water (which I do every couple of days as the tank only finished a fishless cycle 3 weeks ago) last night and the ammonia was slightly increased from the usual 0ppm but it wasn't even 0.25 just a SLIGHT greeny yellow so I did a 70% water change to be on the safe side as it was due today anyway. I checked the water this morning and all levels are fine. I've noticed that her fins are not looking to good and some have deteriorated. I have put up a picture below, any advice greatly appreciated.

FDG.jpg

I hope you've not got dwarf gourami disease in the tank, but would hold off buying any more until you are sure that it is not this causing the problem. If it is, there's not much you can do about it unfortunately, I lost a few gourami due to this - really upsetting.

It looks like the it's the male than has done the damage to her. I bought a floating quarantine type box which I put her in yesterday eve after I found out it was the male and not a disease. When I got up this morning she had escaped so I've put her back in there! Not sure how things will go with her but I'm unable to do anything else really.

How is she doing now, OK?

She seemed ok in her little box but that was obviously only a temp measure. I rang the LFS I got her from and they said I could take her back so I did on Sunday. The LFS put her in a suitable tank and I was in there for a while keeping an eye on her and by the time I was leaving she was happily swimming around ( although she had badly damaged fins so she was a bit wobbly so to speak!). The chap there said that her fins would grow back and she would stay in that tank until they did. So I think that was the best thing I could have done for her under the circumstances.

Meanwhile, the wife beater who's called Ron (the red DG) has made some new friends with the latest addition to my tank, 4 Sterbai Cory's! They seem to get on very well, Ron likes to copy them and hang out in the same area of the tank!

he-he-he..until they come barging in on one of thos JBL Tabs, sending the D.G flying ! :lol:
In all seriousness though, well done on resolving the issue, good to know that our LFS Maidenhead has the decency, knowledge and trust to be able to do such a thing with a sick fish.

Terry.

I put a tab down for them yesterday eve buy they kept missing it and were busy looking everywhere else!! They are pretty active swimming up and down the front/sides of the tank just as much as on the bottom at the moment.

he-he-he..until they come barging in on one of thos JBL Tabs, sending the D.G flying ! :lol:
In all seriousness though, well done on resolving the issue, good to know that our LFS Maidenhead has the decency, knowledge and trust to be able to do such a thing with a sick fish.

Terry.

+1
laugh.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back