Pond Build

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lloyd

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Im starting to plan my new pond. it will be approx 10 foot by 5 or 6 foot by 3 to 4 foot deep.

i plan to build it out of a concrete blocks.

my question is has anybody ever build a similar sized raised pond using concrete blocks and used jst one row of blocks.

iv done a lot of research into pond builds and a few people do go for single row even though every one advises agaisnt it. i was wondereing if due to the small size of the pond could i get away with it as i am rather tight

My pond is a little smaller than what you are planning to build (not by much though) but I built it from single row of breeze blocks. Built it 2 years ago and all is great. :good:

Being a builder I would recommend at least a double skin of blockwork. A gallon of water weighs 10lb. You could use 9" blocks and therefore one skin.

A single skin below ground level is fine if back filled solidly, once above ground a thicker wall is required.

A good rule of thump when building retaining walls is that the wall should be a thickness of a third of the height, ie; 3ft in height should be at least 1ft thick.

Unless you are going to fiberglass the pond then in which case a single skin would be fine.

Being a builder I would recommend at least a double skin of blockwork. A gallon of water weighs 10lb. You could use 9" blocks and therefore one skin.

A single skin below ground level is fine if back filled solidly, once above ground a thicker wall is required.

A good rule of thump when building retaining walls is that the wall should be a thickness of a third of the height, ie; 3ft in height should be at least 1ft thick.

Unless you are going to fiberglass the pond then in which case a single skin would be fine.

ok i quite like the idea of a bottom drain so i might think about fibreglassing it. would it be easyish to fibreglass it myself.....and reasonablr cheap.....the wife isnt pleased with all the cash im splashing out on fish at the minute

Scratch that idea iv just googled fibre glass fibre glassed ponds and it seems you have to reseal them every other year so that plan is out

Don't know where you read that? I built my own about 25 yrs ago, never had a problem... but no it's not cheep.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back