FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have some questions about guppies of the poecilia reticulata type.

1. do guppies have a "leader"? Is there a dominant guppy?
2. does "grooming" the guppies work? As in separating one male from the others and treating it exceptionally well

1.Dominance can occur in a group. If that happens there could be more than one dominant guppy (no matter their sex).
2. I don't understand the second question well.

1.Dominance can occur in a group. If that happens there could be more than one dominant guppy (no matter their sex).
2. I don't understand the second question well.
thanks, will the dominant guppies grow bigger or have more color?

for example this one:

thanks, will the dominant guppies grow bigger or have more color?

for example this one:
Dominant ones don't have to be bigger. But mostly they are more intense colored than others which have the same colors.

Do they dominate because they a better coloured (sic Canada eh?) or do they colour up because of their success in domination?

Do they dominate because they a better coloured (sic Canada eh?) or do they colour up because of their success in domination?
They don't dominate because of a better coloration. But dominant ones will color up more intense to show their dominance. It happens in the same way when they try to attract a possible mating partner. Sneaky males ( males that are down the ladder within a hierarchy) however remain less intense colored. Even if they are trying to mate.

They don't dominate because of a better coloration. But dominant ones will color up more intense to show their dominance. It happens in the same way when they try to attract a possible mating partner. Sneaky males ( males that are down the ladder within a hierarchy) however remain less intense colored. Even if they are trying to mate.
I think I know the dominant guppy in the tank. there is this round male that is very, very red.
Dominant ones don't have to be bigger. But mostly they are more intense colored than others which have the same colors.
By the "grooming", I mean to put a non dominant guppy into another tank to make it think it is dominant, and then returning it to it's original tank. will this disrupt the hierarchy or anything?

I think I know the dominant guppy in the tank. there is this round male that is very, very red.

By the "grooming", I mean to put a non dominant guppy into another tank to make it think it is dominant, and then returning it to it's original tank. will this disrupt the hierarchy or anything?
Could be. For when there's a hierarchy, not always is there just one dominant one but more. They will keep theirselves busy with another. Which is a good thing. So, the weaker ones won't get harassed.

Most reactions

trending

Back