I'm sad to say one of my plecos died last night and i don't know why. :sad:

Water:

Ammonia Nil
Nitrite Nil
Nitrate 5ppm
PH 7.0
Temp 26c

It was a Bulldog Pleco.

The only thing i can think of is that i never really see my plecos eating, but i understand that to be normal as they tend to feed at night. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Backtotropical

Stress, age, disease? Somtimes fish just die, as do all living things :(

:rip:

What did you feed your Pleco? They eat Alge and Alge Tablets. Not the best, but they like Zucini(how ever you spell it) the vegetable.

really they do???

thats funny because not that many plecos eat strait algae, plecos are omnivores, they eat meat, algae, dead plants, and wood. they love catfish tabs and frozen brineshrimp and bloodworms.

Are the white blotches on the glass or pleco.
How long did you have him?
Sorry the thought the pic was yours.

Thanks for the replies. I fed the pleco Tetra Plecomin tablets, Tetra Tabimin tablets, fishfood which the fish miss, and tried cucumber and courgette a few times but nobody ate it. Also, live brineshrimp.

What did you feed your Pleco? They eat Alge and Alge Tablets. Not the best, but they like Zucini(how ever you spell it) the vegetable.

really they do???

thats funny because not that many plecos eat strait algae, plecos are omnivores, they eat meat, algae, dead plants, and wood. they love catfish tabs and frozen brineshrimp and bloodworms.

yup, but some require more vege in their diet, others require more meat in their diet. There is a wide range of fish from the "pleco" family.

not that many plecos eat strait algae, plecos are omnivores, they eat meat, algae, dead plants, and wood. they love catfish tabs and frozen brineshrimp and bloodworms.

Not to imply that it will have a huge impact on anyone, but I agree with this statement, but would add...
but some require more vege in their diet, others require more meat in their diet

...that in quite a few cases, some plecos will rely heavily on algae/veggie matter when they are young, but progressively turn toward becoming much more of an omnivore as they get older - which means, the idea regarding one type of pleco being primarily an herbivore versus another which is primarily a carnivore is not solely dependent on species, but can change over time. However, just to clarify, I am speaking in a more general sense and there are obviously exceptions; which, that being said, your mention of a bulldog pleco (rubbernose pleco) is what motivated me to chime in here because, IME, these plecos may very well change dietary preferences as they grow older.

Keeping all of that in mind, I also wanted to point out that plecos have earned the reputation of being 'messy' fish because they create a lot of waste - which is understandable because they need to eat a very high amount of veggie matter in order to receive the needed and appropriate nutrition. Point being, even though you are supplementing your pleco(s) diet with algae tabs or an equivalent, you may not be providing enough food. (as a sidenote, it is also true that, if not able to find enough nutrition, plecos can and will resort to drastic measures -- even going as far as to 'suck' the slime coat off other tank mates, which is something to avoid for obvious reasons)

However, I wouldn't jump to the starving theory completely at this point since there could be any number of other causes to blame for the death. In fact, IME, it seems as though some plecos may be extremely hardy - meaning they seem impervious to almost anything - while others die as soon as you sneeze within 50 feet of the tank. Because I feel very adamant about us making our best attempt at figuring out the cause of death so it can be avoided, if possible, in the future, my suggestion would be to keep an open mind as to what may have happened. (and yes, I realize that this is sometimes impossible to do, but I still feel it is worth the effort)

Thanks Tommy Gun,

I think your lack of food idea may have hit it on the head, but i simply cant tell because i never see them eating. :sad:

Sorry to hear about your Plec BTT. How do u fancy Babysitting My King tiger Plec, He not looking to good He in Fishin cycle and i cant seem to catch him to put Him in Fishless Cycled tank :huh:

Speak soon

Zoe

yup, but some require more vege in their diet, others require more meat in their diet. There is a wide range of fish from the "pleco" family.

and this is the crux of it. While you can sit there and make all sorts of recommendations about what plecs should eat the fact is the plec family is extremely varied and so are their eating habits. So it is by far the better option to research the individual plec than make generalisations about plecs as a whole which amounts to nothing of any real value...

if you don't see them eating try adding food just before the lights out, then maybe get a torch and check after a while as some plecs are nocturnal :good:

but i simply cant tell because i never see them eating.

I agree with lilfishie in that you may not only be able to see your pleco(s) eat more often by providing food just before 'lights-out', but would add that this may also help ensure that your pleco(s) have a better shot at the food before the other fish in the tank, if any, eat it. I have also enjoyed watching my plecos after lights-out with the aid of some moonlights and would add that having the tank lit, albeit dimly, may prove to help your pleco(s) become more acclimated to being active during the day time hours -- although I doubt that this 'trick' would work all of the time so "your results may vary"

So it is by far the better option to research the individual plec than make generalisations about plecs as a whole which amounts to nothing of any real value...

Please take no offense to this, but I would have to disagree with you for the exact same reasons as I already explained....while most, if not all plecos I have read/heard about are omnivores, many of them will be primarily herbivores when first starting life but 'switch' to being more of a carnivorous omnivore later in life. Why is this something of great value (IMHO anyways) is because we may be doing a great injustice for our plecos if we simply assume that they will be 'herbivores for life'. In fact, even though I haven't tried to refresh my memory yet, I wouldn't be too scared to say that a very vast majority of the more commonly kept pleco species (e.g. common plecos, bristle nose, rubber/bull dog, etc...) are relatively apt to change dietary preferences like I am suggesting. To further support that notion, I have read in more than one place that starvation is arguably the most common cause of death in plecos (and probably most 'algae eaters') so if we hope to avoid that fate, we should understand that a pleco's dietary needs are not always black and white. For further support, I am sure that anyone who spends some amount of time in the hobby, and especially on forums like this one, will eventually hear about someone complaining or asking questions about why his/her pleco was found 'sucking' on the side of a tank mate, or even caught eating a dead fish, if you haven't already. Granted, I would tend to believe that a pleco would be very low on the suspect list of possible causes for the death of another fish, they are often times very willing to eat it.

Lastly, I think it is prudent to point out that, in many cases, we purchase plecos without knowing exactly what type it is since some are hard to differentiate between when they are young -- which, I am sure that if you look hard enough, you will find at least a handful of people who were amazed to see his/her bristle nose pleco (one of the smaller plecos in case anyone didn't already know) grow to nearly a foot long because, as it turns out, it was mislabeled in the LFS. With that in mind, it becomes slightly more valuable to have a decent grasp on the diet of plecos in a more general sense.

...besides, as we speak about regarding most every other fish, plecos can benefit greatly from a varied diet. <=== which is valuable in a myriad of ways

Don't get me wrong though....I should have prefaced my initial comments by voicing my opinion regarding the purchase of any fish/invert in a freshwater tank solely to perform some sort of 'job' as being a mistake in most, if not all cases since we can do the same job ourselves with relative ease. With that in mind, I do agree with the notion that, if keeping a pleco because you actually want (versus need) one, it is best to do the research on that specific species ideal diet. So, to clarify, I agree with you Darkstar, but only find value in information/ideas that you may not.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back