Pleco deaths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So a week ago I added two female common bristlenose plecos to my planted 200l tank. In it there were already two super red bp males who got along and did bother each other. All 4 fish were at breeding age and I though I could get both colors. However a week after adding the females both males died. I saw the males and females interact, but I thought it was just normal or breeding behavior as there are 3 caves, a few big rocks and driftwood. The tank is heavily planted as well. I found one male and a female next to a cave and it thought that they might breed, but a few hours later the male laid dead at the place I last saw him. Today I found the other one dead and I saw him and another female next to each other. Could they have been fighting over territory? I don't think that they died form parasite as all the fish seem really healthy and were very active. I had bp die on me in the past, for no reason. I feed algae wafers every night after the lights go off, add some blood worms and zucchini every now and then. The water chemistry is on point and we'll oxygenated for an air stone. Their tank mates (two angles and a blue gourmai) dont care or don't notice them because there in no aggression between them. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is it just territorial dispute? Would it be possible to add another common male, I hope to breed them. Would I need to feed them more regularly, or do they lack protein or something in their diet?
Thank you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back