Plec Problem

khs666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just acquired a 2" bristlenose plec from someone getting out of the hobby (moving and no room), and I'm worried about the chap.

I know they hide, and this one reportedly did in his old tank, and they are nocturnal. However, this one seems to be in the same place every time I look for him - inside the castle that's in my tank.

Now, I've read this forum about plec's and so after lights out I put an algae tablet into the tank, around the entrance to the castle.

What I don't know of course, is whether the stress of the move (about 10days ago) got to him, whether he's eating etc etc.

So: Do I remove his hiding place? My tank has plenty of others (plant cover, 1/2 flower pot etc) so that at least I can see him moving and that he's alive.

I don't want to lose him, and I'm just concerned.... Advice please!

no, I wouldn't remove the hiding place for him, my bristlenose hides in the day too...but if you go down at night when all the lights are off I@ll bet that he;s out and about cleaning..dont worry, he'll be fine! :D

Plecs like to hide a lot. Not sure of the size of the Plec in relation to his hiding spot, but you might want to check and make sure he's not stuck (if that's a possibility). Otherwise...I wouldn't worry much about it. Like Geeza said...check at night and you may find him out and about :)

Pamela
aka Lizard

:nod: Yep, I agree, Fish do get stuck sometimes. I got three clown loach and they got stuck inside a mangrove root ornamental thinggy. I thought they were just hiding and they had got stuck and died (well 2 just seemed to disappear, so I presume they were way deep inside this thing. I had to throw it away in the end. However I have had plecs in the past and some do hide during the day and you get used to not seeing them. Luckily the gorgeous guy I have got now, is very active during daylight hours so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Mine are most active at feeding time and right after lights out. Try popping over to the tank with a flashlight in the middle of the night and see if you notice him scurry off. You can also leave a piece of zucchini in the tank over night...it won't rot that fast so don't worry, if he's hungry he'll come munch on it

Thanks to all, it is what I suspected, that he is ok, and that I should leave him. It's just the not knowing that I was finding a problem with. Every couple of days I lift the castle just to make sure he's alive, so I presume that after a fortnight he'd be very hungry if he wasn't eating.

Thanks again all.

My striped raphael hides all the time too! It's almost like I don't have one, lol. But he's alive never the less. He's always in the cave...

Most reactions

Back