Please talk me the through this

2pacus

Reaction score
I hope you fish people will help! My 2 Pacus (Martin and Lewis) are not doing well.

The water here is very hard and smells from sulfur. We bought 2 small Pacus and they quickly grew out of control we moved them from the 10 gallon to a 75 gallon tank. The tank kept getting cloudy and green. We tried to vacuum the gravel many times. We started thinking that maybe the water changes were making it worse so we stopped doing these so much and bought a huge filter. Our bigger filter is an Eheim professional. It's rated for a much bigger tank. We put the Peat pellets in the filter to reduce the hard water and it does not seem to help. All the levers are off and the fish's fins are rotting. Their noses look wrong, their skin is red-spotted they are loosing some scales. They are loosing their appetites as well. Usually they eat everything. The tank is so cloudy and green that you can't even see them until they come right up to the glass.

We put in some Maracyn and followed the instructions hoping that this would fix their "Fin rot?" It may have worked a bit but I think the problem is bigger than that.

I'll do what ever it takes to get this tank healthy. Now, what do I do?

BTW, here are the levels from on of those strip tests:
Nitrate 200
Ammonia 2.0
Hardness 425
Alkalinity 0
PH 6.4

Thank you for your help.

First thing is to keep doing the water changes as the ammonia should be 0. The nitrate is also way too high at 200 and ideally you should be looking around the 20 mark. What is the Nitrite reading?

Did you make sure the tank was cycled before putting any fish in there?

The cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom.

The green stuff is probally algea which could be made worse by having the lights on too long and not having anything that eats algea.

where are you located?
sulphur smelling water should not be even allowed to come out of your tap; have you contacted your water supplier and expressed concerns of the quality issues?

Most reactions

Back