please say it's not duckweed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CuriousFins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_3599.JPG

Not 100% sure, the leaves look the wrong shape for duckweed, in my experience. Did it come with another floating plant, like salvinia?

Agree it is not the common duckweed. Spirodela polyrhiza is a so-called large duckweed I've never encountered, may well be that. Not a worry anyway, it is easy to keep these things in check.

Not 100% sure, the leaves look the wrong shape for duckweed, in my experience. Did it come with another floating plant, like salvinia?
Nope, plants in the tank are ambulia, ludwigia sp., dwarf sag, rotala rotundiifolia, crypt, juncus repens, java moss, and water sprite. The water sprite is floating, but it came planted in pots.
Looks like giant duckweed (Spirodela polyrhiza) to me
interesting
Agree it is not the common duckweed. Spirodela polyrhiza is a so-called large duckweed I've never encountered, may well be that. Not a worry anyway, it is easy to keep these things in check.
Huh, okay.

Def spirodela… once you get any sort of ducjweed, its gonna stay….

Say hello to the duck; it is there to keep you company !

Could very well be duck weed, if it is textured could be salvinia as well. Duck weed is not terrible given the right circumstances. HOB filters, yeah, no, they will be plugged up pretty quick. I run canisters on all my tanks, when doing anything that disturbs the surface I net the intakes to collect anything that gets pushed down by the power heads. I have 2 to 3 tubing rings on the surface to keep plants out of areas (I have a lot of floaters, frog bit, salvinia, red root, dwarf lettuce and guppy grass, plus duck weed)depending which tank it is. My Sevs love to eat the duck weed so they leave the red roots/ ferns and moss alone for the most part. I see that a a win as Sevs love their greens and I like live plants in my tanks🤣

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back