Please Help Me Complete My Community Tank...

tj200

New Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol, UK
Hi all
My planted tank (220L) currently has:
14 Neon tetra
2 Dwarf Gourami (1m+1f)
3 honey gourami (1m+2f)
2 dwarf neon rainbowfish (1m+1f)

I think it's still quite understocked (particularly as neons dont really add a huge amount to the load).
I was thinking of also adding (some of):

Bolivian Rams (2)
Bristlenose catfish (1f)
Guppies (6-8m)
siamese algae eater (2)
oto's (4)

I originally favoured guppies as I think they're pretty, but have a bit of an algae problem in my tank so thought oto's and 2 SAE would help that. which probably only really leaves enough space for the rams.
In retrospect I wish I'd got fewer neons as I've now realised that fewer, larger fish look better (IMO) than many small fish.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on numbers and comments on my choice of species. What do you think I could have without overloading the tank. Additional suggestions of species or ideas would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!
 
you can add what you want in that list; but id keep the SAE to 1 looks fine to me apart from that; so overall you will have

14 Neon tetra
2 Dwarf Gourami (1m+1f)
3 honey gourami (1m+2f)
2 dwarf neon rainbowfish (1m+1f)
Bolivian Rams (2)
Bristlenose catfish (1f)
Guppies (6-8m)
siamese algae eater (1)
oto's (4)
 
14 neons dont look impressive in a 220l tank, but 50 do
 
you could dump the guppies and build up the neons :good:
 
you could dump the guppies and build up the neons :good:

Again, I would be tempted to do this (also maybe dumping the bristlenose to save stocking space)... but with all small fish, I'd want one or two large centrepiece fish... Originally I wanted Angelfish..... but (although opinion is divided) these may well eat the tetra when they're large enough. And I couldn't think of another option that was good (colourful, active and at least the size of a dwarf gourami) and which would be ok with the current stock.
 
You should up the numbers of praecox (rainbowfish) as they much prefer to be in larger groups.

The if it was me, add the rams, BN plec and ottos.
 
Aren't rams a bit of a gamble in the slightly cooler temps required for Neons?

I agree with more neons thing :)
 
Aren't rams a bit of a gamble in the slightly cooler temps required for Neons?

I agree with more neons thing :)

I was going to keep the tank centred around 25 oC. I was under the impression that neons are ok up to 28 and rams are quite happy down to 24oC or so.... so I didn't think there'd be any issues. Please do let me know if you think otherwise.
As before, I think I have enough neons and I'm nore keen on keeping something a little larger and more impressive. So any suggestions from more experienced fishkeepers would be appreciated. Ditto any comments on how over/understocked the tank is.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top