Please help! Fin rot?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Belphegor88

Reaction score
So Belle, my halfmoon betta fish is ill right now.
Symptoms started showing about a week ago.
When I saw it starting, I put in some Aquarium Salt from API.
3 days salt bath, didn't work.
Changed to Bettafix and dosed it for 4 days.
It only got worse, so I did a 100% water change and put API salt again.
That was about 20 minutes ago.
He eats well, flares well, but generally looks tired.
Normally he was quite active. Occasionally resting on beds.
But he's resting more than usual these days and I'm terribly worried.

The size of his tank is about 4 gallons.
I do 80% water change every day.
No filter, only a heater. water temperature is about 79ºF.
I feed him 5-6 pellets of natural betta food from mobydick in the mornings,
and a small quantity (about the size of his eyeball) of Betta food flakes from Tetra at nights.
He is 8-9 months old.
The fins are becoming transparent or ripped, but not the outer corner.
It started near the body and that's why I'm not sure if it's fin rot or something else.
Also, the area around his anus is turning white.
Please, please help.
I've already asked my local betta community but no answers, nobody seemed to know about it.
Please.... I don't want him to leave me yet. He's still young and I love him so much..

KakaoTalk_20210717_122141371.jpg

I am not an expert in treatment for fins rot. But I'll try my best to give some advice.

How much salt did you use?
If I'm not wrong, it should be about 1 tablespoon of salt for 20 liter(5 gallons) of water.
But for severe cases, salt probably may not be effective.

You may need some antibiotics.
Check these websites which suggested to use antibiotics Nitrofurazone and Kanamycin.

Also, I advise you to use a filter and to ensure that the ammonia and nitrite in your tank is always 0.

Lastly, take note that when you use antibiotic, you must use it for at least 7 days.
And if the bacteria becomes immune to the antibiotic, the antibiotic will become ineffective and you will have to change medication.

I am not an expert in treatment for fins rot. But I'll try my best to give some advice.

How much salt did you use?
If I'm not wrong, it should be about 1 tablespoon of salt for 20 liter(5 gallons) of water.
But for severe cases, salt probably may not be effective.

You may need some antibiotics.
Check these websites which suggested to use antibiotics Nitrofurazone and Kanamycin.

Also, I advise you to use a filter and to ensure that the ammonia and nitrite in your tank is always 0.

Lastly, take note that when you use antibiotic, you must use it for at least 7 days.
And if the bacteria becomes immune to the antibiotic, the antibiotic will become ineffective and you will have to change medication.

Thank you for your reply!
I've watched him for a few more days, and weird, except for those transparent parts of his fins,
he seems to be in perfect health! He eats, flares, poops, swims around, rests like a healthy bettafish.
So I decided to stop worrying and instead focus on keeping his tank water in good condition.
Yesterday I floated an almond leaf on his tank and he even made a big bubble nest.
I think I'll keep up with the almond leaves, and yeah, I sure will consider installing a filter.
Thanks again!

It's unusual that the inner fin is eroding, I've only seen it on the outer edges before.

Almond leaves are a great idea. If you don't have live plants they would also be a good addition, floating plants like frog bit are ideal.

As bettas are from still waters the current from a filter can be too strong for them, and as labyrinth fish they do not require aeration. But if you decide to carry on without a filter, make sure you keep on top of this water change schedule:
1 gallon tank - 100% water change every 2 days or
2.5 gallon - 100% water change every 4 to 5 days or
5 gallon - 100% water change once every 7 days
Whilst he is ill you may want to change even more frequently.

I hope he gets better soon.

I would get a filter and start testing the water with an API test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate especially. I wouldn't recommend 100% water changes. Don't do more than 80% at a time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back