Please can someone identify this green intruder

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

Deleted member 149562

So here am I the world's worst gardener who can kill a garden weed...let alone anything growing in an aquarium...at 20 paces just by looking at it.

This green intruder has not only popped up in my 200 litre aquarium but is actually growing....first time ever that a green intruder has managed to grow in an aquarium for me. It is living behind the moss balls in the front left corner and I have no clue as to how, when or why it arrived there...

IMG_20220627_120720_resized_20220627_120808457.jpg

Apologies for the reflections in the glass but can someone maybe identify this intruder please with pointers on how not to kill it too, thank you :)

Looks like a tiger lotus plant. If they get iron they turn a very deep red/purple
Sounds a bit exotic..... :)

Any ideas on how to care for it or if I should move it away from the corner (thinking roots might attack the glass etc)....

(Does it need regular watering? ;) )

Sounds a bit exotic..... :)

Any ideas on how to care for it or if I should move it away from the corner (thinking roots might attack the glass etc)....

(Does it need regular watering? ;) )
It is on the more exotic side of a magic plants.
Honestly I do not know how to particularly care for it but I heard its a fairly hardy plant. If its growing there I would leave it. Obviously it has been doing well...

Yes, regular watering is required for these plants 😉😅

It's survived this long don't touch it 🤣🤣
Frankly I am astounded that its alive given the nibblers living in the aquarium, never mind my ability to kill any green thing off with a single glance :lol:

Its about 4-5 inches tall, not got a clue how long it was lurking in there before it decided that it was safe to sprout upwards. Brave plant, thats for sure.

Frankly I am astounded that its alive given the nibblers living in the aquarium, never mind my ability to kill any green thing off with a single glance :lol:

Its about 4-5 inches tall, not got a clue how long it was lurking in there before it decided that it was safe to sprout upwards. Brave plant, thats for sure.
Yah... They start as bulbs and grow from there. You may have found one live plant that likes you!

Yah... They start as bulbs and grow from there. You may have found one live plant that likes you!
Trust me to find a Triffid in my aquarium....I shall keep an eye on it to see how big it gets. Thankfully its in the 200 litre aquarium, so plenty of plant elbow room....

I should be honoured to be liked by a plant....

I would think it's like any plant. Every so often I find something growing in my yard that blew in from someplace. I would be tickled to find that volunteer.
The Apisto has taken a shine to it....cuddles it at night like a security blanket.

I am thinking it has been "planted" somehow to try and get me to stop using artificial plants....a Triffid takeover bid....

Yes its a green tiger lotus.

You can trim it which will keep it down low and bush out or leave it to grow upto the surface and be lilly pads
20191219_182641.jpg
20220424_174003.jpg

Ive had/got the red and green lotus and they are stunning once established

The Apisto has taken a shine to it....cuddles it at night like a security blanket.

I am thinking it has been "planted" somehow to try and get me to stop using artificial plants....a Triffid takeover bid....
That's adorable! See! Fish know what is real and what isn't! And that apisto like the natural tiger lotus plant...
Maybe try adding some anubias. Their pretty expensive but they are tanks. I had it in a cycling tank where the ammonia was a but over 3ppm for 2 days and it was still a deep green!

Yes its a green tiger lotus.

You can trim it which will keep it down low and bush out or leave it to grow upto the surface and be lilly pads View attachment 162046View attachment 162047
Ive had/got the red and green lotus and they are stunning once established
Me....the resident plant killer...trim a plant?

I think I shall pass on that....having a living plant actually growing is enough for me not to tamper with it.....it has volunteered to live there and although it did not ask permission first...it can stay and live untouched by human hand (I can't confirm that it will be left alone by the fish though cos they never listen to me when I ask them to do anything or to behave themselves)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back