Platy with red bum

Katielady0501

Reaction score
So my male platy has a bright red bum hole and has been hiding in the cave. He doesn't seem to swim out and will sit at the top of the cave, but he is still alive. I have just started using pimafix to help. I recently lost a molly just yesterday and he died overnight. I noticed nothing different about him. He still swam around and ate, than in the morning he was laying in the weeds with a green/yellow belly and red strings like poop out his butt. Is this a fungal infection? or something more dangerous? I need some advice. Note that all the other mollies seem fine it's just this one platy. He also will swim kinda at an angle. I never noticed this before and all of the sudden I notice it. My other two platys had red bums and weird fuzz stuff coming out like poop. I really need some advice because I don't want anything to happen to this platy. Thanks so ,uch for any help! If you've expierenced this can you tell me how to help get rid of it?

Pictures of the fish (including dead molly if you took any)?

It could be intestinal worms like Camallanus. These are a thread worm that is regularly found in common livebearers from Asia. You don't normally notice them but sometimes you see thin red hair like things sticking out the fish's butt.

Pictures should help confirm that or something else.

One of my male guppies had a red bum, it took some water changes and it was better

Pictures of the fish (including dead molly if you took any)?

It could be intestinal worms like Camallanus. These are a thread worm that is regularly found in common livebearers from Asia. You don't normally notice them but sometimes you see thin red hair like things sticking out the fish's butt.

Pictures should help confirm that or something else.
Unfortunately I have no pictures but I looked online and that’s exactly what it looked like! Thin red hairs out the bum! Would pimafix work?

Pimafix won't do anything to intestinal worms. You need a fish deworming medication like Levamisole or Flubendazole. See below for more information about treating worms in fish.

----------------------
Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

------
Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and removes a lot of the gunk, and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
INTESTINAL WORMS
Intestinal Worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, and do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with a bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies are regularly infected with gill flukes and intestinal worms. If the fish are still eating well, then worms is the most likely cause.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms like Capillaria and Camallanus. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms.

In the UK look for:
eSHa gdex contains praziquantel that treats tapeworm and gill flukes.
eSHa-ndx contains levamisole and treats thread/ round worms.
NT Labs Anti-fluke and Wormer contains flubendazole.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time to prevent cross contamination.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish the next time you treat them. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish.

Pimafix won't do anything to intestinal worms. You need a fish deworming medication like Levamisole or Flubendazole. See below for more information about treating worms in fish.

----------------------
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

------
Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and removes a lot of the gunk, and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
INTESTINAL WORMS
Intestinal Worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, and do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with a bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies are regularly infected with gill flukes and intestinal worms. If the fish are still eating well, then worms is the most likely cause.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms like Capillaria and Camallanus. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms.

In the UK look for:

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time to prevent cross contamination.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish the next time you treat them. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish.
What medicine could I get to help? Is it contagious? Will all my fish have it

----------------------
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

------

----------------------
INTESTINAL WORMS

In the UK look for:

Here’s some pictures I took! They are moving out of his butt!

Attachments

• 265ABB5F-B95D-490D-9B7F-B3917E13F995.jpeg
    265ABB5F-B95D-490D-9B7F-B3917E13F995.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 942F4ACB-75C6-43EF-B8D2-E516E3A57216.jpeg
    942F4ACB-75C6-43EF-B8D2-E516E3A57216.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 53FC4229-F64C-4E72-A9BE-60F62AA8DDC7.jpeg
    53FC4229-F64C-4E72-A9BE-60F62AA8DDC7.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 4A0C0553-0521-4E22-B1A8-7B9CB3F57D54.jpeg
    4A0C0553-0521-4E22-B1A8-7B9CB3F57D54.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 6C6C4FAC-DE7F-468A-9C6B-7A1FE083A4D7.jpeg
    6C6C4FAC-DE7F-468A-9C6B-7A1FE083A4D7.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 56
  • CE58099E-E351-4C57-97A5-FAE1B02EDBDC.jpeg
    CE58099E-E351-4C57-97A5-FAE1B02EDBDC.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 53
  • FAFC8872-A964-49CB-995E-F8A4221DC2EF.jpeg
    FAFC8872-A964-49CB-995E-F8A4221DC2EF.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 40
  • E4CEE35F-231B-481A-8D05-1274FDA8126C.jpeg
    E4CEE35F-231B-481A-8D05-1274FDA8126C.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48
photograph the fish in the water so it is natural and I can tell what I'm looking at. plus any worms that might poke out, won't when the fish is stressed or removed from water.

photograph the fish in the water so it is natural and I can tell what I'm looking at. plus any worms that might poke out, won't when the fish is stressed or removed from water.
Kinda hard to see but I see red moving things

Attachments

• 8AB7BCCD-6005-4116-A32E-AA28552CD44B.jpeg
    8AB7BCCD-6005-4116-A32E-AA28552CD44B.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 05E33E06-1CEE-43B5-9779-DFD1C3B670B8.jpeg
    05E33E06-1CEE-43B5-9779-DFD1C3B670B8.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 06A69A2A-E668-480B-B986-2F2099250C85.jpeg
    06A69A2A-E668-480B-B986-2F2099250C85.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 47F426B5-EFEE-4653-A586-7B34098C30BF.jpeg
    47F426B5-EFEE-4653-A586-7B34098C30BF.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 40
  • F193FE55-68FA-4F27-A170-2B7BDE97B0CD.jpeg
    F193FE55-68FA-4F27-A170-2B7BDE97B0CD.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
yes definitely thread worms (either Capillaria or Camallanus). They both get treated the same way.

Levamisole or Flubendazole once a week for 4 weeks. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48 hours after each treatment.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure the filter does not have carbon in it because the carbon will remove the medication from the water.

I went to the vet and they gave me a prescription for parasites. I noticed that the red strings have lost their red color! I don't know though.

Stupid vet gave you anti-biotics to treat intestinal worms.

That won't treat the worms.

Most reactions

Back