Plastic tanks + heaters

phil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

This may be a bit of a stupid question but can I fit a 25 watt heater into a recently bought plastic tank?

The lfs says NO but if I remember my science correctly (long time ago) as long as the heater is not in direct contact with the tank wall and surrounded by water there is no chance of the plastic becoming overheated and melting, also considering the water temperature is only 30 degrees surely the heat in the element would not be high enough to melt the plastic (used to work in plastic injection molding a few years ago).

I`ve bought the tank (14x10x10) as a hospital / Quarantine tank.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I think you have well and truely answered your own question. :D
I cannot see there being too much of a problem. I would just keep the element off the plastic as you said. :nod:
If it gets hot enough to melt the plastic injection moulded tank you are in trouble as your fish would be well and truely cooked prior to the tank leaking! :rofl:
Are you sure it is a tropical fish shop where you got the tank from? It sounds more like the local fish and chip shop! :lol:
I think you would be better finding an other shop when it comes to advice. I bet the glass tanks were dearer and I suppose he was pushing them as the other option. :nod:

Hi Fishman

Believe it or not it was one lfs in a national chain of stores and like you say I think they were spinning me a line, but they did insist they were correct - think I`ll catch my next fish out of the River Trent (only joking).

Just goes to show that even in well established lfs`s the pound means more than giving good advice.

Phil

I've been using a small plastic 4 gallon tank for 6 months now as a hospital tank and its got a heater in it

still going strong

<crosses fingers and touches wood>

surely it would be better to pay slightly higher for a tank you know definitely isnt going to melt?

surely it would be better to pay slightly higher for a tank you know definitely isnt going to melt?

The tank will not melt!
If you have stacks of cash to just throw away then thats fine. It is far better to get what you need.

For example:
If you went to a car sales person to buy a car and you asked if a sound system could be fitted into it.......
If he said no it cannot but this car twice the price can have one fitted.......
Would you buy it or think to yourself this person is trying to get twice as much money as i want to spend? Both vehicles will do what you require of it and I am sure I can get a sound system for it too.
Why get ripped off?

If it is a hospital tank that will probably be empty for months on end why go to the expence anyway? There is more chance of breaking a glass tank than a plastic one in storage.

The only disadvantage on plastic tanks is that they scratch easier.
It amazes me how many fish shops employ people who know very little about what they are selling. Sometimes this can work to your advantage if you know what you are on about. Especially when buying unusual fish.

Most reactions

Back