Plants Thriving With No Ferts Or Co2

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AmtotheBurr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a few plants for my tank months ago, and boy, they have taken off.
This is a photo of my wonder bulb. While I was in Japan the thing grew a large flower and I thought it was an electric cord in my tank but it was this extremely large stem.
I hate to cut it off since it's the flower and it's trying to get to the light. For now, it's laying in the tank for the most part. I hope it doesn't catch on fire.

I haven't used any fertilizer or co2.

If your tap water has sufficient micro nutrients and your lights are bright enough, yes your plants will do fine.  However a lot of people have tap water that is too clean or too hard for plants and sometimes fish to do well.  For me my water is too hard so I have to use RO water and micro nutrients.  My sister  can't even drink her city tap water.  It exceeds EPA limits for Arsinic and Uranium and it is even harder than my water.  I installed a RO system for her.

The plant flowering is an Aponogeton.  Their flowers are reminiscent of a bristle brush.  And being an Aponogeton, there are stored nutrients in the tuber that will obviously deplete.  I have found that substrate tabs improve Aponogetons.

Might be worth mentioning that a plant flowering isn't always a sign of health.
If you believe in Darwin it can be a sign of things going tits up and it doesn't want to be the last of it's species.
To put it in a wider context - Have a look around the world at populations and decide if they're in ideal conditions or less than.....
HTH

Looks like your plants are doing well. Plants can always benefit from some extra nutrients, though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back